Chocolate Mottled

Hillbilly Mom

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2013
I am going to start working toward Chocolate Mottled Orpingtons. I started with a Chocolate Rooster and Black Mottled Hens. I know I will keep the best from them and breed brother to sister to get Chocolate Mottled. My question is, I know have purchased a Chocolate Split to Mottled hen. What will I breed her with? Do I breed her with Chocolate Rooster or Mottled Rooster? What will I get if I breed to both?

2nd Generation Choc Mottled chick

I started this project early last year and I am excited at the results. I began with a Choc Roo over Mottled hens. I have a Black split for Choc mottled Roo and Choc split for mottled hens showing faint markings. They are producing quite a few mottled and Choc mottled chicks. I got a little cockerel set back with a lot of mottling for my next generation. This has been an awesome project but I have no idea what these chicks will be worth at the end result. Anyone know what Choc Mottled chicks are going for?

These are my quad of breeders.

I am going to start working toward Chocolate Mottled Orpingtons. I started with a Chocolate Rooster and Black Mottled Hens. I know I will keep the best from them and breed brother to sister to get Chocolate Mottled. My question is, I know have purchased a Chocolate Split to Mottled hen. What will I breed her with? Do I breed her with Chocolate Rooster or Mottled Rooster? What will I get if I breed to both?

mottling is recessive so to get some mottled from a carrier ( your CSM) you have to breed her to a mottled roo.

CSM = chocolate split to mottled hen

1. CSM hen x mottled roo= F1 some F1 are mottled and some are black no chocolate F1 because chocolate is a recessive sex linked gene.

all the F1 males will carry one choc gene and can produce some chocolate females if an F1 male is crossed with a black hen

cross an F1 mottled male to a mottled hen will produce some F2 choc mottled hens, no F2 males will be chocolate but they will be a carrier of choc gene

2. CSM hen x chocolate roo = F1 are all chocolate but no mottling some will carry mottling ( split) and some will not carry mottling

look for F1 that show mottling in juvenile plumage these will most likely be your mottling carriers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom