Chocolate Orpingtons

Choc is recessive though, and will still make 100% chocolate when breeding choc x choc.

Dun is dominant, and when Dun x Dun is bred, like blue, you get 50% dun, 25% black, and 25% khaki (homozygous dun)

I'd consider them quite different because even Lavender when bred over and over will destroy feather quality over time. But we still use it, we still breed it to black now and then like blue, so, it's still legit.

Last edited:
I believe Chocolate, like Lavender, just suddenly popped up. Since then it has never popped up before, so all Chocs are related to the originals, however I believe in Seramas that isn't the case. (they may have also had their own choc fluke that happened, which all choc Seramas have been bred from)

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear on what I typed.
roll.png
Greenfire Farms is a breeder in the U.S., but they haven't started to sell them yet. I don't know of anyone else who has them in Chocolate. Their website is www.greenfirefarms.com
greenfire is charging $100 per chick last I checked - that's crazy. I like chickens but $100 should buy like 10-50 day old chicks or fertile eggs from most other breeder.

Granted I see rare chickens for $10 sometimes and was happy to pay $5.50 for my langshans as an example - is there something very very special about the greenfire stock?

This may be a stupid question however, I am fairly new to the love of poultry. I have an English black Orp that I hatched and he is starting to show a little copper(bleeding through) color at the base of his head and surrounding feathers. Otherwise color is true to form. Does this mean he carries the chocolate gene? Thanks!

This may be a stupid question however, I am fairly new to the love of poultry. I have an English black Orp that I hatched and he is starting to show a little copper(bleeding through) color at the base of his head and surrounding feathers. Otherwise color is true to form. Does this mean he carries the chocolate gene? Thanks!

I'm no authority, but I do show and breed black English Orpingtons. Chocolate splits (or roosters carrying the chocolate gene) do not express the chocolate color on their feathers. The only way to know for sure is to breed them to black and see if any resulting chicks hatch out chocolate. More than likely the gold leakage you are seeing is probably from a buff being bred in at some point. Blacks are the basis used to improve just about every color in orpingtons and as a result there are many blacks out there that eventually show color leakage. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom