Chocolate Orpingtons

A lot of the images I see of chocolate chicks look just like black chicks to me. For example, the top middle chick in this pic is clearly darker than the others buy they're all listed as chocolate:
Awe they are cute! The chick on the farm left top looks like it ate something icky lol

I am new to Chocolate breeding I have a Chocolate roo, 3 Chocolate hens, a Dun hen and a Cockoo Dun hen. I have just started hatching and my first two chicks look black. I breed Lavender Cochins and Black is used to improve Lavenders so I know what Black chicks look like. I have been reading some about Chocolate genetics and it is just a little more complicated but doesn't Chocolate to Chocolate = all Chocolate chicks?
You may be VERY happy with them being so dark. My roo is really oranging up in the hackles. Anyone else seeing this?

They say that chocolates are barely distinguishable from blacks in good breeding.

Yes choc+choc=choc

You may be VERY happy with them being so dark. My roo is really oranging up in the hackles. Anyone else seeing this?

They say that chocolates are barely distinguishable from blacks in good breeding.

Yes choc+choc=choc

Thanks - I will be very patient then
My roo has orange hackles too. I like his type though.

I love my chocolate roo Hershy. His build is wonderful. He has an excellent comb and plumage. Best of all he is really so sweet. Today I threw some meal worms in and he picked one up and called his mate Kiss over to eat it! He is so sweet and attentive to whoever is in his charge. I just love Chocolates. They are so kind and gentle.

Can anyone explain how the sexing by color works? I've seen it with chocolates with other colors.
For instance :pullets are chocolate and cockerels are black.
And I've even seen pullets said to be mauve,chocolate while the cockerels another color.
What do you need in a pen to do sex linked orps?
Thank you in advance :)

Can anyone explain how the sexing by color works? I've seen it with chocolates with other colors.
For instance :pullets are chocolate and cockerels are black.
And I've even seen pullets said to be mauve,chocolate while the cockerels another color.
What do you need in a pen to do sex linked orps?
Thank you in advance
smile.png

You can play around on the chicken calculator to figure that kind of stuff out.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

You can play around on the chicken calculator to figure that kind of stuff out.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Ok, the calculator is pretty neat. So if you have a Chocolate Sire to a Black Dam (wondering if it has to be split to chocolate or not), you will get Chocolate girls and Black boys. Can anyone confirm?
And then a Mauve Sire to a Black Hen would be girls mauve and chocolate. boys are black.
I've just heard of the Mauve's , I'm assuming it's a dilute of chocolate.
Sounds pretty awesome :)

Yes, mauve (khaki on the calculator) is the blue gene diluting chocolate.

I have a pullet that the breeder called a Dun. Is she Mauve?
I have them in with my young Chocolate cockerel and I have been saving their eggs. I hatched two chicks two weeks ago that were both very dark. I swear they are black. Last week I hatched two chicks, one most definitely having chocolate brown down and the other a grey/blue down.. Could the "black" chicks be from her eggs? Guess I need to do some separating for breeding pens.
I am new to Chocolate gene breeding and Dun and Mauve only complicate that. I appreciate finding this thread and have a lot of homework ahead of me.
( These pics, from when I first got them, are all the pics I have for now. I'll get better ones if it ever stops raining here in Oklahoma.)
The dun is in the back.

I have a pullet that the breeder called a Dun. Is she Mauve? I have them in with my young Chocolate cockerel and I have been saving their eggs. I hatched two chicks two weeks ago that were both very dark. I swear they are black. Last week I hatched two chicks, one most definitely having chocolate brown down and the other a grey/blue down.. Could the "black" chicks be from her eggs? Guess I need to do some separating for breeding pens. I am new to Chocolate gene breeding and Dun and Mauve only complicate that. I appreciate finding this thread and have a lot of homework ahead of me. ( These pics, from when I first got them, are all the pics I have for now. I'll get better ones if it ever stops raining here in Oklahoma.) The dun is in the back.
Yeah she looks mauve to me. Really gorgeous!!!

Back
Top Bottom