Chocolate Orpingtons

Well my chocolates all ended up being hens! So funny as everyone guessed cockrels for all or most of them. So now I have a pretty trio of choc POL pullets with my spare mottled roo. Can't wait to see what the chicks look like!

LOL! I had the opposite. I was SURE I had 3 pullets and 2 were roos. The comb on them isn't very big either. They just each have 1 long tail feather and my rooster has been a bit unfriendly to them.

Just sharing couple of pics of my Chocolate Cuckoo pullets. They are seven weeks old:

I am jealous. I had 1 of my eggs hatch and it is a boy. I will be putting him over my chocolates and aiming for 2 sets of genes down the road....

Just sharing couple of pics of my Chocolate Cuckoo pullets. They are seven weeks old:

Maybe it's my monitor, but these birds look to be regular Cuckoo, without the Choc gene?

Pullets & hens can't recessively carry/"hide" the Choc gene, if they have it they express it.

hu.gif

Maybe it's my monitor, but these birds look to be regular Cuckoo, without the Choc gene?

Pullets & hens can't recessively carry/"hide" the Choc gene, if they have it they express it.

hu.gif
Hi Jeremy, its the lighting. They do have choc expressed. These ones have crisper barring, the ones with not so crisp barring look more chocolate on camera

Last edited:
I have 1 mauve Cuckoo hen in with my Chocolate roo. I have hatched 2 Cuckoo chicks; one looks to be Chocolate cuckoo and the other looks darker. Could it be blue? I barely have learned the basics of chocolate breeding and Cuckoo is throwing more into the combination than I understand right now. I am going back to review the Chocolate and mauve genetics explained so well earlier in this thread. Homework!

Here are some pics of my hens, the Cuckoo doesn't have as good type as my others but her color is lovely. I am just glad to be getting any chicks.

Interested in more pictures. Looking to hatch a bunch of these from a few different breeders next year. Would be nice to help get this color out there and more common. Will have to start selling eggs of my own

Back
Top Bottom