Chocolate Orpingtons

Would someone be able to answer a question for me? Please and thank you. :)

I have a chocolate cuckoo orp that I am thinking about breeding to my solid hens. I think he is double barred (?). What would the chicks look like? Would they be barred versions of each color or some sort of mix? I have Genetics of the Fowl sitting next to me, but don't feel like straining my brain tonight. My hens are chocolate, lavender, red and buff. I also have a jubilee, but can't imagine what sort of mix that would produce.

Whoppers
First of all, its hard to tell from the picture whether its single barred or double. I am leaning towards single barred because of the solid choc feathers in the tail.

Here will be the results if you have him with:

1. Single Barred x Chocolate:

Half the chicks will be barred and half will be solid chocolate. They will not be sex-linked.

2. Single Barred x Lavender:

It will be a sex-linked cross. Pullets will be chocolate or chocolate cuckoo and will be split for lavender whereas cockerels will be black or black cuckoo and split for lavender as well as chocolate

3. Single Barred x Red:

I believe that the results will be the same as above in terms of looks. What would lie underneath the apparent color, maybe an expert can answer.

4. Single Barred x Buff:

Again the same results as 2 and 3 above in terms of appearance.

5. Single Barred x Jubilee:

I believe half the chicks will be white of which the cockerels will be split to chocolate. 25% of chicks would be black cockerels split to chocolate and remaining 25% some sort of chocolate laced red or gold pullets

So if you want to keep track of their genetics. You will have to track the hens and see which eggs are laid by which hen and then separate them in the incubator in a shrimp or onion bag so that when they hatch you can tag them accordingly.

Last edited:
First of all, its hard to tell from the picture whether its single barred or double. I am leaning towards single barred because of the solid choc feathers in the tail.

Here will be the results if you have him with:

1. Single Barred x Chocolate:

Half the chicks will be barred and half will be solid chocolate. They will not be sex-linked.

2. Single Barred x Lavender:

It will be a sex-linked cross. Pullets will be chocolate or chocolate cuckoo and will be split for lavender whereas cockerels will be black or black cuckoo and split for lavender as well as chocolate

3. Single Barred x Red:

I believe that the results will be the same as above in terms of looks. What would lie underneath the apparent color, maybe an expert can answer.

4. Single Barred x Buff:

Again the same results as 2 and 3 above in terms of appearance.

5. Single Barred x Jubilee:

I believe half the chicks will be white of which the cockerels will be split to chocolate. 25% of chicks would be black cockerels split to chocolate and remaining 25% some sort of chocolate laced red or gold pullets

So if you want to keep track of their genetics. You will have to track the hens and see which eggs are laid by which hen and then separate them in the incubator in a shrimp or onion bag so that when they hatch you can tag them accordingly.
Thank you so much! This is so helpful to me. I am interested in learning more about genetics and coloring. I have been trying to understand the barring gene BB v. Bb. Is it typically possible to tell by the pattern? What I understood in my reading was that BB would have wider white bars than Bb. That is why I thought maybe Whoppers is double barred.

Thank you so much! This is so helpful to me. I am interested in learning more about genetics and coloring. I have been trying to understand the barring gene BB v. Bb. Is it typically possible to tell by the pattern? What I understood in my reading was that BB would have wider white bars than Bb. That is why I thought maybe Whoppers is double barred.
Honestly, its very hard to tell from this picture because of the light reflection. However, the solid feather in the tail while not definitive but helped determine. Now I could be totally wrong because of the light. So I suggest you repost the picture without direct sunlight but in a bright area. There is also a forum on facebook that has many experts that are more than willing to provide their opinion. Its are rarebreed orpington chat room. Here is a what a doubled barred would look like:

cimg1833.jpg

Honestly, its very hard to tell from this picture because of the light reflection. However, the solid feather in the tail while not definitive but helped determine. Now I could be totally wrong because of the light. So I suggest you repost the picture without direct sunlight but in a bright area. There is also a forum on facebook that has many experts that are more than willing to provide their opinion. Its are rarebreed orpington chat room. Here is a what a doubled barred would look like:

cimg1833.jpg
So a rooster has to carry two genes to be barred, or does that make them double barred? Can a rooster be split for barring? Hens are easy, if they have b- they are barred; plain and simple. It is just a little more confusing for me on roos.

Do you have an example of a single barred chocolate cuckoo? (besides for mine
smile.png
) Seeing things makes it a lot easier for me.

Also, on jubilees, if you cross jubliee to jubliee, will you get some white and some black in addition to jubilee or do they breed pure? Just idle curiosity on that one.

So a rooster has to carry two genes to be barred, or does that make them double barred? Can a rooster be split for barring? Hens are easy, if they have b- they are barred; plain and simple. It is just a little more confusing for me on roos.

Do you have an example of a single barred chocolate cuckoo? (besides for mine
smile.png
) Seeing things makes it a lot easier for me.
There is no such thing as split for barring. If it has the barring gene, it will show. 1 gene would a single barred and 2 would be double. Only roosters can be double barred. Hens only have 1 barring gene. I am posting a picture of my rooster which is single barred but again its in a different kind of lighting.

There is no such thing as split for barring. If it has the barring gene, it will show. 1 gene would a single barred and 2 would be double. Only roosters can be double barred. Hens only have 1 barring gene. I am posting a picture of my rooster which is single barred but again its in a different kind of lighting.

Okay. I got it. I see what you mean about the dark feathers. He is very pretty! Thanks again for the patient explanation.
smile.png

I have chocolate Orpington's in Florida. I want to introduce another type of Orpington hen into the flock that would give me different color like a chocolate cockoo or maybe a lavender. Anyone have suggestions?

I have chocolate Orpington's in Florida. I want to introduce another type of Orpington hen into the flock that would give me different color like a chocolate cockoo or maybe a lavender. Anyone have suggestions?
I wouldn't breed to Lavender...

But Chocolate X Blue will yield Mauve, which I think is a lovely color.

Back
Top Bottom