Chocolate Orpingtons

Keeping my fingers crossed...I bought "Chocolate Orpington" 8 day old chicks at a Stockade/Auction...will post as they grow to see if the person selling them knew what they were talking about.
cool.png

You are right that my logic was incorrect about using a black mottled roo in the second cross. I guess my best and fastest bet is doing a sibling cross between the two and hatch enough chicks to get both choc mottled pullets and cockerels. The only problem is that as far as I heard, there is no way to differentiate between mottled and split to mottled chicks and before the first molt, split to mottled may show some mottling on the tail and chest. 

Is that what you are referring to when you say your pullets have some mottling. Are they split to mottled?

This project doing well. I'm pretty excited about these guys.

I need help. It's probably been answered here but I was wondering what happens when you cross a chocolate cuckoo Orpington rooster to a chocolate Orpington hen, will it be sex link?

I need help. It's probably been answered here but I was wondering what happens when you cross a chocolate cuckoo Orpington rooster to a chocolate Orpington hen, will it be sex link?

No not sex linked. but If you breed a Chocolate Orpington Rooster to a Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington Hen the males would be sex linked single barred Chocolate cuckoo and the females would be solid Chocolate

Chocolate x Chocolate = 100% Chocolate
Black split Chocolate cockeral x Black hen = 25% Black split cockerals/ 25% Black cockerals/ 25% Black hens/ 25% Chocolate hens
Chocolate cockeral x Black hen = 50% Black split cockerals / 50% Chocolate hens
Black cockeral x Chocolate hen = 50% Black split cockerals/ 50% Black hens
Black split Chocolate cockeral x Chocolate hen =25% Black split Chocolate cockerals/ 25% Chocolate cockerals/ 25% Black hens/ 25% Chocolate hens

Double barred male x barred female = 50% double barred males, 50% barred females
- Double barred male x solid color female = 50% single barred males, 50% barred females
- Single barred male x barred female = 25% double barred males, 25% single barred males, 25% barred females, 25% solid females
- Single barred male x solid female = 25% single barred males, 25% solid males, 25% single barred females, 25% solid females
- Solid male x barred female = 50% single barred males, 50% solid females

[COLOR=993300]Chocolate x Chocolate = 100% Chocolate[/COLOR]
[COLOR=993300]Black split Chocolate cockeral x Black hen = 25% Black split cockerals/ 25% Black cockerals/ 25% Black hens/ 25% Chocolate hens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=993300]Chocolate cockeral x Black hen = 50% Black split cockerals / 50% Chocolate hens [/COLOR]
[COLOR=993300]Black cockeral x Chocolate hen = 50% Black split cockerals/ 50% Black hens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=993300]Black split Chocolate cockeral x Chocolate hen =25% Black split Chocolate cockerals/ 25% Chocolate cockerals/ 25% Black hens/ 25% Chocolate hens[/COLOR]

[COLOR=993300]Double barred male x barred female = 50% double barred males, 50% barred females

- Double barred male x solid color female = 50% single barred males, 50% barred females

- Single barred male x barred female = 25% double barred males, 25% single barred males, 25% barred females, 25% solid females

- Single barred male x solid female = 25% single barred males, 25% solid males, 25% single barred females, 25% solid females

- Solid male x barred female = 50% single barred males, 50% solid females[/COLOR]

[/quote
Thank you, for the break down. I bought some chocolate Orpington and chocolate cuckoo Orpington eggs from a lady and she threw in 8 babies which sounded like a great deal but when I got them home, they were all roosters!!!!!!
I could be mistaken but they are only 3 weeks old and their combs and waddles are red and big. Ugh! I am hoping to get a couple chocolate hens out the hatching eggs so I can breed them to the one of the roosters to get my chocolate cuckoo hens.

I found someone local to me saying they are introducing the breed to our area. They have 2 older girls 2-3 months they want $30 each for

Back
Top Bottom