Chocolate projects?

Pics

The most prolific characteristic of a duckwing is the color in the secondaries, which he appears to not have. You sure he's a duckwing? Looks either like a Birchen or a cross of two colors. (one being solid such as black or blue, the other not)

Quote:
He believed that but so far out of his surviving stock no white bird was hatched... so its hard to proove that was het dominant white, most like Dr. B reeder, Danne Honour and I believe its Dominant Dilute...

Below is Grant Brereton European Partridge Wyandotte with lemon saddle and hackles caused by Dilute
LemonHackle.jpg

A friend of mine in europe is developing Chocolate Cuckoo Marans..

Here a chick
Cookie-Chocolate-Marans.jpg

A friend of a friend is also developing Beige Silkies by using recessive sex linked Chocolate and Dun

Below birds are in the begining of the breeding stage so don't be so harsh..
BeigPullet1.jpg

BeigPullet2.jpg

the breeders that are attempting this are far above my knowledge level. Thats why I asked for verification. Is there a way that I can breed this bird to test if it truly a chocolate based. I was told by a couple different people that If I bred my male to a chocolate hen and got chocolate chicks, I had a chocolate based bird. This has happened multiple times at this point. I also bred the chocolates hatch mate to a jubilee to see what I got, and those chicks are definitely black. I understand the genes have to be there for this to be the case. Is the test I did enough or is there something else I can do?
Gary,
There are 2 different genes that make a chocolate phenotype (visually chocolate). If yours is recessive/sex linked chocolate, breeding a chocolate to another chocolate can only produce chocolates, 100% chocolates and not a single "other color" or it's not chocolate.
Here is how recessive chocolate works.....and yes, you can only verify a chocolate by breeding if there is any question.

Chocolate cockerel + Chocolate hen = 100% Chocolate

Chocolate cockerel + non chocolate hen = all Chocolate pullets & all Chocolate Split cockerels (non chocolate but carry the Chocolate gene)

Non Chocolate cockerel + Chocolate hen = all Chocolate Split males & all Non Chocolate pullets

Chocolate Split Cockerel + Chocolate hen = 25% Chocolate hens, 25% Non Chocolate pullets, 25% Chocolate cockerels & 25% Chocolate split cockerels

Chocolate Split Cockerel + Non Chocolate hen = 25% Chocolate pullets, 25% Non Chocolate pullets, 25% Non Chocolate cockerels & 25% Chocolate split cockerels

*****Chocolate Split which only appears in the Cockerels, they can have a non chocolate gene and a chocolate gene. BUT hens are either chocolate or they are not, if not, they do not have the gene.

Would these be considered chocolate? As far as I know, they did not come from dun or chocolate, but just popped up in my line of Sizzles & seem to be breeding true.

So great to discover this thread! I have LF Chocolate Ameraucana eggs in the incubator now, along with LF Silver Ameraucana eggs. I am so looking forward to breed some of the Chocolates to Chocolates. I will also breed my LF Lavender Ameraucana roo to both the Chocolate & the Silver hens. Now I'm wondering about breeding a Chocolate to a Silver or vice versa?... The possibilities are amazing. I know so little about genetics that I LOVE this thread and all the great info! Thanks all you genetics whizzes
1f60d.png
1f44d-1f3fc.png
1f423.png
1f44c-1f3fd.png

The bits of information you need to remember are the following about the chocolate gene:

chocolate is recessive and sex-linked

females inherit one chocolate gene from the father- the mother has no part in passing on the chocolate gene to the female offspring

to produce chocolate female offspring- the father must be chocolate or at least one of the fathers parents was chocolate (this father is not choc)

males must inherit one chocolate gene from the mother (she has to be chocolate) and one chocolate from the father-

* to produce chocolate male offspring the hen parent must be chocolate and at least one of the father's parents was chocolate (this father is not choc)

lavender is an autosomal recessive gene

lavender x non-lavender = no lavender F1 offspring but each F1 offspring is a carrier of the lav gene (LAV*L) and can have some lavender offspring if crossed with a lavender mate

lavender x non-lavender = F1 offspring ( not lavender) you can be assured carry lavender- any other cross and you will not know which non-lav is a carrier

for example if you cross an F1 x F1 from above cross = some lavender offspring but the other non-laves may or may not be carriers you will not know which non-lavs you can cross with a lav to produce more lavs

silver and gold are found at the same locus while silver (S*S) is dominant and gold (S*N) is recessive- usually a chicken is silver or gold

gold works like the chocolate gene

to get silver F1 offspring at least one of the parents must be silver

silver hen x gold male = (F1) silver males and gold females- F1 males are hybrids (carries silver and gold)
silver hen x silver male ( hybrid carries silver and gold) = all silver F1 males (all hybrids) some silver F1 females and some F1 gold females

gold hen x silver male (purebred carries only silver) = all F1 silver offspring but males are hybrids
gold hen x silver male (hybrid carries silver and gold) = gold males and females plus silver males and females (silver males are hybrids)

your chocolates are most likely gold so you may want to treat the chocolates like gold birds when you do your first crosses.

You will want to treat your choc birds like black phenotypes. Choc x most varieties (non choc) equals basic black offspring

Choc female x silver male = basic black with some white in hackles (females), males will be black but have silver anywhere in the pyle region

silver female x choc male ( if gold) = basic black with some red in hackles females, males same as above cross

Last edited:
I hatched 2 chicks where the father was a chocolate Orpington and the mom was an EE of unknown color. One chick was black, and by 5 weeks old it was clearly a cockerel. The other chick is chocolate and I can't tell what sex it is yet (7 weeks old now).

Does this mean I may have sex-linked chicks where the chocolate ones are female & the black are male? How would I know if this is the case?

Yes, if the rooster is chocolate all his daughters will be chocolate

Back
Top Bottom