Chocolate projects?

pop.gif

choc=chocolate

I am assuming mauve is a hypostatic black chicken that carries one incompletely dominant blue allele (hypostatic blue) and the proper number of recessive choc genes to be hypostatic chocolate= in this case mauve is an epistatic phenotype 

[COLOR=B22222]blue orp (choc carrier) x choc hen= blue, black, chocolate, mauve[/COLOR]

every male will inherit one choc gene from the mother and half of the males will inherit a choc gene from the father, therefore some will inherit two choc genes and be chocolate, the males  with one choc gene will not be chocolate

the males that inherit one choc gene will be blue or black depending on if they inherit a blue allele or not.

Some females will inherit one choc gene from the mother and be chocolate, the females that do not inherit a choc gene will be blue or black.

The choc males and choc females that inherit a blue allele will be mauve.

[COLOR=B22222]mauve x mauve= chocolate, mauve, splash chocolate[/COLOR]

every chick will inherit the number of choc genes they need to be chocolate but you have blue in the cross so this will prevent most from being chocolate. 

in a normal blue x blue cross the outcome is black, blue and splash ( remove choc from parents genotype to get blue x blue) 

the blacks from the blue x blue cross will be- genetically black plus choc so they are chocolate

the blues from the blue x blue cross will be- genetically blue + choc so they are mauve

the splash from the blue x blue cross will be- genetically splash + choc so they are splash chocolate

[COLOR=B22222]choc x mauve= chocolate and mauve [/COLOR]

Since both parents carry the number of choc alleles they need to be chocolate= all of the offspring will inherit the genes needed to be chocolate but since one parent is blue all the chicks will not be chocolate

black x blue cross usually produces- black offspring and blue offspring; the father will be considered black (remove the choc gene from his genotype ) and the mauve mother is blue (remove choc from her genotype)

the black offspring will be chocolate and the blue offspring will be mauve 

Thank you very much for this info. I'll save it and it'll help me in the future. I'll share some pics of my birds.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

I have had an interesting juvenile pop up in my Chocolate/Mauve project. I have an 11 week old juvenile that I believe is a pullet, but I am not positive yet. She is the result of a Splash/split to chocolate cock over a blue hen. There is a slight chance that I marked the egg wrong (about 1/2 of 1%) as I am only human, and she could be out of a mauve hen under the same cock. However, that still does not explain her. She is a standard splash color with 1, and only 1, half chocolate feather in her tail. Hmmm...

Here is an updated picture of this pullet. She is laying a very pretty light olive egg.
big_smile.png
The one half chocolate feather grew back in after her molt. If I had the room, I would test breed her to see if she carries the chocolate gene. Unfortunately I don't, so she will be going to a layer home.

Here is another pullet from the project. I really like her color!
love.gif
The one behind her is also chocolate, but has copper hackles. Copper is not something that I want in my project, so she too will be going to a layer home.

Back
Top Bottom