Chocolate projects?

Pics
Here is a "blue" Araucana hen. She would be normal blue when she molted and grew in fresh feathering but within a week, that blue turned to an almost chocolate looking color. Totally weird color but I would call it a dingy brown too. This is a "Blue" hen genetically but some might call her phenotype (the way she looks, not the way she is genetically) chocolate. Even her legs had that browish color, like chocolate does but when she grew in fresh feathers, she was very blue

Last edited:
Here's one that I found, a bit more light, but I'll get another pic if you like @smoothmule

I was told he was an import Orpington,. The hens are another story. Their decent. Their feathers are faded and tattered from breeding season. Some of the worst condition feathering I've ever seen on a bird. Here are the parents.I haven't had any luck posting pictures to here for some reason. Haven't been able to figure it out. Here's a link to my photo album. The pictures aren't the best because of the camera. The pics of the underfluff look greyish but in real live, it's the same color as my chocolate orpingtons. Nice and deep brown.
http://s525.photobucket.com/user/garyhern/library/Gold laced choc?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:
Here's one that I found, a bit more light, but I'll get another pic if you like @smoothmule
He is not chocolate. He may carry chocolate but he is not chocolate himself. What was the colors of the parents? If there is chocolate, you can usually track backwards and find it. Look at his tail, very obviously black and if there is a single black feather, then it's not chocolate.

He is not chocolate. He may carry chocolate but he is not chocolate himself. What was the colors of the parents? If there is chocolate, you can usually track backwards and find it. Look at his tail, very obviously black and if there is a single black feather, then it's not chocolate.
Okay thanks! but I got him at Swapmeet since I live in the city.

I was told he was an import Orpington,. The hens are another story. Their decent. Their feathers are faded and tattered from breeding season. Some of the worst condition feathering I've ever seen on a bird. Here are the parents.I haven't had any luck posting pictures to here for some reason. Haven't been able to figure it out. Here's a link to my photo album. The pictures aren't the best because of the camera. The pics of the underfluff look greyish but in real live, it's the same color as my chocolate orpingtons. Nice and deep brown.
http://s525.photobucket.com/user/garyhern/library/Gold laced choc?sort=3&page=1
There are no chocolates in those photo's. The fluff may look brown but that doesn't mean he's chocolate. It "appears" in the photo's that the rooster is black laced, if there is a single feather that is black, he can't be chocolate. It may be the lighting but I'm not seeing anything in the photo's that looks chocolate. Chocolate dilutes all that should be black, it doesn't skip a feather or an area, it dilutes every inch of black to chocolate, just as the blue gene dilutes all that should be black to blue....those genes are not selective about what areas will be chocolate (or blue with the blue gene)

Granted, chocolate in a patterned bird is much harder to spot. But, I have raised chocolates for 7 yrs and I'm not seeing any chocolates in your photo's

there is nothing but chocolate on these birds. There is not a single black feather on them. I raise chocolates orps also and the only difference is the chocolate on these birds doesn't show as much graying as the chocolates I have. The one picture (DSC0024) that shows the birds to look black is not a good example of the true color of the birds. The one that is labeled DSC_0022 is the true color. Digital cameras have a way of hiding true colors or at least making it very difficult.

there is nothing but chocolate on these birds. There is not a single black feather on them. I raise chocolates orps also and the only difference is the chocolate on these birds doesn't show as much graying as the chocolates I have. The one picture (DSC0024) that shows the birds to look black is not a good example of the true color of the birds. The one that is labeled DSC_0022 is the true color. Digital cameras have a way of hiding true colors or at least making it very difficult.
I don't disagree they are chocolate, they do not "look it" in the photo. Lighting and angles and junk in the background make it so hard to see what they are. I take Loads of pictures to get decent ones to share. If the photo's are really poor quality or poor lighting making them look different than they are, then it's better not to use those photo's to show someone and ask if they look chocolate. I can't argue one way or the other about what they are because the photos are so poor.

Here are some examples of decent photo's showing color.

This is what I'm talking about, there is no doubt about the color. I took all of these and they are all my birds

Sometimes, using birds of another color will help to show it better.

It takes time and patience to catch them all at the right moment

Back
Top Bottom