Chocolate projects?

Pics
This is a hypothetical answer to what you have observed. It may be a case of epistasis. In hens, which only have one recessive chocolate gene, the two blue alleles are hyperstatic to the chocolate gene ( cancel out the chocolate gene). In males, the case may be that the two blue alleles would not be hyperstatic because the males have two chocolate genes. Males should be splashed with chocolate. And then again, maybe two blue alleles would cancel out two chocolate genes also. That is why I asked if you had seen or had raised any splash birds that were white and chocolate.

When you say mauve- what genes are responsible for a mauve bird. would the bird carry both blue and the chocolate gene(s).

If you hatched mauve splash then what I stated is not supported by the birds you have produced.
Yes, mauve is the result of having both blue and chocolate genes. It is lighter than a chocolate bird. The same gene that dilutes black to blue dilutes chocolate to mauve. I describe mauve as the color of hot chocolate.

This is not the best representation of the color, but it does show the color difference as it should be. From left to right - mauve splash, mauve, standard splash, The color of the dark feathers on the mauve splash is actually the same as on the mauve, though the photo doesn't do a good job of capturing the color.

Whoops, here by mistake I thought it was about eating/baking chocolate.
big_smile.png
No problem, you are welcome to enjoy our chocolates with us!

Here are a couple pictures that I just took outside. The color shows up better, but still doesn't really do them justice.

Standard splash in the upper left and mauve splash on the right

Dark blue on left and mauve on the right.

You'd get Black male chicks, that were split to/recessively carrying the Choc gene, with red/gold leakage.

& Chocolate female chicks, or at least mostly Chocolate.

They would probably have some red/gold leakage too, or perhaps some patterning that looked similar to incomplete partridge. 

What colour would I get if I was to cross my chocolate Orpington rooster with my silver laced Orpington hens.

I hatched 2 chicks where the father was a chocolate Orpington and the mom was an EE of unknown color. One chick was black, and by 5 weeks old it was clearly a cockerel. The other chick is chocolate and I can't tell what sex it is yet (7 weeks old now).

Does this mean I may have sex-linked chicks where the chocolate ones are female & the black are male? How would I know if this is the case?

I hatched 2 chicks where the father was a chocolate Orpington and the mom was an EE of unknown color. One chick was black, and by 5 weeks old it was clearly a cockerel. The other chick is chocolate and I can't tell what sex it is yet (7 weeks old now).

Does this mean I may have sex-linked chicks where the chocolate ones are female & the black are male? How would I know if this is the case?

Yes, if the rooster is chocolate all his daughters will be chocolate

OK I have a fee questions. Lil complicated but I'd like to know. What will I get when I breed my blue orpington rooster to my chocolate hens. Plus what I'd get when I breed him to my 2 mauve hens. Another question is what would I get if I bred my chocolate orpington roo to my mauve hens?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Color calculators are hard to understand for me lol.

My blue orpington roosters parents = father is chocolate and mother blue.
My mauve hens parents are the same.
My chocolate roosters parents are both chocolates.

OK I have a fee questions. Lil complicated but I'd like to know. What will I get when I breed my blue orpington rooster to my chocolate hens. Plus what I'd get when I breed him to my 2 mauve hens. Another question is what would I get if I bred my chocolate orpington roo to my mauve hens?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Color calculators are hard to understand for me lol.
choc=chocolate

I am assuming mauve is a hypostatic black chicken that carries one incompletely dominant blue allele (hypostatic blue) and the proper number of recessive choc genes to be hypostatic chocolate= in this case mauve is an epistatic phenotype

blue orp (choc carrier) x choc hen= blue, black, chocolate, mauve

every male will inherit one choc gene from the mother and half of the males will inherit a choc gene from the father, therefore some will inherit two choc genes and be chocolate, the males with one choc gene will not be chocolate

the males that inherit one choc gene will be blue or black depending on if they inherit a blue allele or not.

Some females will inherit one choc gene from the mother and be chocolate, the females that do not inherit a choc gene will be blue or black.

The choc males and choc females that inherit a blue allele will be mauve.

mauve x mauve= chocolate, mauve, splash chocolate

every chick will inherit the number of choc genes they need to be chocolate but you have blue in the cross so this will prevent most from being chocolate.

in a normal blue x blue cross the outcome is black, blue and splash ( remove choc from parents genotype to get blue x blue)

the blacks from the blue x blue cross will be- genetically black plus choc so they are chocolate

the blues from the blue x blue cross will be- genetically blue + choc so they are mauve

the splash from the blue x blue cross will be- genetically splash + choc so they are splash chocolate

choc x mauve= chocolate and mauve

Since both parents carry the number of choc alleles they need to be chocolate= all of the offspring will inherit the genes needed to be chocolate but since one parent is blue all the chicks will not be chocolate

black x blue cross usually produces- black offspring and blue offspring; the father will be considered black (remove the choc gene from his genotype ) and the mauve mother is blue (remove choc from her genotype)

the black offspring will be chocolate and the blue offspring will be mauve

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom