Chocolate Serama Breeders - dun and blue can be included here as well

Pics
I have a few smooth feathered chocolate pullets that have begun to lay so I'm very excited for that but I could use a chocolate rooster if anyone has spares

Here are some of my chocolate and a possible dun? blue dun? pullets, some beginning to lay, all but one are immature and still growing feathers in, especially tail feathers. They all prefer to lay on the desk rather than pose too. I've noticed that they are more likely to pose as they mature more and gain confidence.

Dottie
01Nov2011325.jpg

Latte
01Nov2011335.jpg

Sahara
01Nov2011337.jpg

Candie
01Nov2011004.jpg

I'm seeing all of these pics of chocs & I want MORE! Juliette did you see the pics I posted of "Anthony" I got from you? My family has fallen in love with him! Thanks again!

Quote:
I just back-tracked and saw Anthony, I'm so glad you and your family are happy with him! He sure is a "snuggle-bunny", isn't he? His brother, Rolo, is the smooth split I've been breeding with some frizzled chocolate girls. I will definitely have some chocolate girls available in March, hopefully some will be smooth!
fl.gif
Of course, I think we're all working on trying to get that elusive solid chocolate rooster!!! I don't quite understand why it's so hard to do...
hu.gif
he.gif

Here are some of my blue's, Ruth has one that is just gorgeous that I hatched. Anyone interested in blue should watch for his chicks.

This Cockerel is about 3 months old and just 9 ounces. He had a bit of red in the hackles and his feathering is juvenile and messy but I can't wait to see him at a year old. It's amazing how much more polished they are when they're past a year old

01Nov2011367.jpg

This is Starry. I thought she was a black mottled but she's looking more like a blue mottled.
Starry.jpg

I almost had Anthony's brother too but I remember you lost your other smooth boy so had to keep this one. I'm hoping I can get another smooth boy and some girls soon
smile.png

Quote:
I just back-tracked and saw Anthony, I'm so glad you and your family are happy with him! He sure is a "snuggle-bunny", isn't he? His brother, Rolo, is the smooth split I've been breeding with some frizzled chocolate girls. I will definitely have some chocolate girls available in March, hopefully some will be smooth!
fl.gif
Of course, I think we're all working on trying to get that elusive solid chocolate rooster!!! I don't quite understand why it's so hard to do...
hu.gif
he.gif

How sweet
love.gif
My Silkie girls won't sit in a cardboard box. Heck...they really won't sit in anything but the corner of the coop where I can't reach the eggs
roll.png
They are so stubborn!

Quote:

I'll be checking back often if anybody has any chocolate for sale I can work with. I wish I had more time to read about the genetics of Seramas but my kids barely give me a chance to run to the bathroom lol.

Are chocolates really that hard to come by? I know theres different quality etc. but what about the "mutt" chocolates (if there is such a thing) I've raised Silkies for years and theres different qualities & prices. So isn't there any "lesser" quality chocolates out there for cheaper? Just curious? All I have is poor Anthony..my one & only Serama
sad.png
He's in with my 2 Black Silkies right now
hmm.png

Browneyebuttafly,

I think there's just not that many of them out there. I had lost my chocolate hen so it was just a reminder of how quickly you could lose your whole project. I'm kind of hoarding what chocolates I have but then they're all just babies and barely starting to lay, many of the eggs may not even be fertile yet. I feel pretty confident mine are really chocolate but there are so many other gene combinations that can make a chocolate looking bird that I feel I should do test breedings to know for sure. A real chocolate will breed by the rules so any of them that don't produce 100% chocolate if 2 chocolates are bred together, is not a real chocolate. Does't matter if you just want a Serama that "looks" chocolate but I wouldn't want to sell one as chocolate until I feel sure it is. I have some really cool, funky genes (chocolate, dun, blue etc) and they are really hard to pin down for genes. I'd kind of like to know what my possible colors are, not really to fully control the color I get so much as to be able to look at my chicks and know what I'm seeing.

It's just too much fun. Don't worry about getting a chocolate right now, find some colors you like and get a pullet or two. It you're wanting chocolate, then choose colors that would be fun to cross a chocolate with. I really do hope to have some for sale next year but it will be mid to late summer at best when you consider that most keep their chicks to 6 months old to evaluate and even the ones I hatch now won't be ready then till May or June at the soonest. That sounds awfully long but then think about it, when you "do" buy, they will be ready to breed/lay and you'll know what you're getting.

Back
Top Bottom