Chocolate Silver Birchen English Orpington Bantams

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
So a friend of mine is bidding on these eggs. The breeder did mention they were a project and they were still a little larger than they wanted. My friend asked me what would I cross to them to help bring the size down. My first though was just breed the smallest birds to one another. They suggested a cochin. I think fighting with the feathered feet for generations would make me insane.

Here's a link to the auction on ebay so you can see the adults: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PURE-EN...313976?hash=item1f18fe6f38:g:YkIAAOSwJhZeC588

So my genetically-minded friends, @nicalandia, @The Moonshiner, @Amer, and anyone else I've forgotten to tag. How would you maintain shape and color while producing smaller birds?

Last edited:
Aren't there breeders still out there that breed chocolate orp bantams?
I'd look into breeding to those.

It's really hard to find any Bantam Orpingtons, especially of the English variety. What would crossing back to a normal Chocolate bird do color-wise to the Birchin pattern?

I bought those. I hatched out 4 and kept 3. They look just like the pictures. I have 1 male and 2 females. They are nice gentle chickens and they are small, just not as small as my Bantam Cochins.

That is great to know! Thanks! How was the shipping jobs on the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom