Christmas Hatch-A-Long

He rents downstairs so if the power goes out he can't boil anything I will get him to light the wood stove soon so at least the house won't be too cold and worst case he can gently move the incubator close by and wrap it up

Just a possible suggestion. Warm bricks or rocks on the wood stove or in the BBQ grill. Wrap in a towel and place on top.

I was going to commute home with bf but he's leaving early and not working tomorrow so I'm gonna be spending the night in town, the conditions are just too shitty for my car to take on. I Know he'll keep the house warm and will do some sort of hot water bottle deal (no bricks/rocks around) to put inside till the power gets back. Today is day 19 and all I can do is hope for the best

oolyboolu How did it work out?
Well to be honest I just don't have that much hope. My brother did what he could but his phone died shortly after giving instructions. Bf left work early but didn't get to the house till hours later cuz was out plowing roads and getting his own vehicle out of the ditch. When he finally got in he said the temps were just over 70.. he ended up cutting a window in the side of the styrofoam to get the wood stove heat-powered fan to blow in, which did warm it to about 95 but wouldn't go higher than that. Obviously that started to dry things out so he stuffed a bunch of wet paper towels in the opening and that brought it up to around 60%. Power was out till past 9pm last night, and as soon as it returned everything was plugged back in and he said it was up to the right numbers when he went to bed.
No word this morning yet, but truth be told, im not holding my breathe :( this has been the worst experience with temps all over the place and i was already surprised that 6 actually survived to lockdown.
It's been difficult to not be at home to take care of them myself and to have to leave them to others (bf isn't that keen on chickens lol). Too many frustrations and feelings to deal with and i still have a full day of work before i can go home. Hatch day is tomorrow and at least im off work after today.
I feel kinda silly that im still hoping for the best even tho I know the chances are pretty nil :(

GUYS GUYS GUYS! they survived!! All 6 pulled through!!

I came home to the temps on point but 20% humidity so quickly fixed that and decided I wouldnt look or check. But I had a moment of **** it and did a quick candle, and they'e all still wiggly!! Im so happy and proud of these lil snots what a way to pull through holy crap

Ok so that being said, to me they look kinda small.. like they need 4-5 more days to hatch day instead of tomorrow. Would that be from the whack ride they've had? Im perfectly fine to wait longer, i just want to know what ppl think.

Omgomgomg I'm so happy :)

One of ours hatched 4 days late. I think it was because the week before due date we had night temps in the teens and day temps in the upper 20s. We got 3 out of 9 hatch but one died because it couldn't back under mama and got chilled.

Our hatch that's due today or tomorrow had two chicks hatch yesterday morning, one over night and one zipped just before dark today. Had one egg I already know of die a week ago and I could make out movement in our last egg this morning so it may not hatch. 2 were Silkies and I our them with our first hatch from earlier this week. Ill leave the 2 Orpington chicks with their mama.

20171222_110825.jpg

20171222_141332.jpg

20171222_083125.jpg

20171219_095240.jpg

Back
Top Bottom