Christmas hatch! Who's in?

nuts4chickens

Songster
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Kingston, GA
Just set eggs a few minutes ago for an early Christmas Eve hatch!

Using a King Suro 20 incubator. Set 10 bantam Crele Wyandottes, 11 bantam frizzle cochins, and 13 bantam Dutch.

My bator is jam packed. I am hoping for a better hatch this time. My last two hatches had a lot of crooked toes and late hatch dates due to my digital read out reading a degree or two higher than it really was. Think I have that fixed now. I'm going to run this hatch at 100 degrees, and 38% humidity. Using an internal thermometer to monitor temp also. Digital readout is definetly 1.5 degrees off. Also, last two hatches, I had a lot of full term chicks dead in the shell when I ran at 45% humidity, so I'm going to bump that down a bit, also.

Anybody else hatching themselves their Christmas present (hopefully)? What are you setting, and what are you running your bator's settings at?

Hi ya nuts4chickens,
I just finished my very first bator hatch. White showgirls(F12), from my own flock. Not sure but I think it would average about 75% hatch, 6 out of 8, please correct me if I'm wrong. One quit a week into incubation and the second seemed to have just stopped at maybe day 17-18 it was fully developed but skinny.

Anywho....I'm planning to set some eggs this friday(Dec 3) or saturday(Dec 4) that would make my hatch date either X Mas eve or X Mas day.

Ok so you want what kind of incubator and temp/ humidities?.....oooohhhhhh and what kind of eggs.

Am using a forced air LG. I keep my temp between 99.5 and 100.2. The humidity for days 1-18 at 50-53%. And for lockdown I try to keep it between 63-65%.

I'll be setting some blue and splash silkie eggs I got from SimplySplendidSilkies. These are shipped eggs so will be interesting to see how they do.

Here's a pic of one of the bowtie Showgirl chicks I just hatched.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ashkedarklace/MVC-002F.JPG
A Showgirl Shooter

Happy Hatching!
Suz

I was really tempted to do a Christmas hatch, but joining 76 other people for a New Year's Hatch sounded so much more fun.
big_smile.png
- Also, it allows a much easier way to count how old your chicks are as they grow up.
lol.png

I have a Dec 23 and Dec 24th hatch and will have the New Years hatch as well right now 120 or so eggs in...why just settle for one
lol.png
crank up those bators. My Christmas Eve hatch is all MF Cochins not sure yet what I will set for New Years without a doubt more MF Cochins,FBCM and EE/OE since I have those to spare.

I'm new to posting to BYC and chickens in general - but I've been stalking and reading up for months. After doing much research, I'm ready to start a batch of eggs today (provided my last order shows up - 2 came yesterday). I'm nervous as it is my first time incubating (in hindsight, I probably should have waited a few months and got chicks). I've been regulating my bator for the past two days and have two thermometers in there. I finally got them so one is registering at 99.5 on the dot and the other at 100.4 with 45% humidity. I think I'm good to go.

I've got 10 RIR, 10 Jersey Giants already and 10 Black Austrlorps coming today. For my first time out, I'm hoping for a 80% fertility rate with a 50% hatch rate. Are those realistic expectations?

Back
Top Bottom