ChickaChicka1

Songster
Feb 16, 2024
CO
Hi there! I ordered some Barred Rock hatching eggs from Meyer Hatchery last week, and they are supposed to come sometime next week around Tuesday or Wednesday. This will be my first time hatching eggs in an incubator. I have a Kebonnix 12 egg incubator set up at home. Do y'all have any tips for hatching shipped eggs, and for getting a really good hatch rate? I want to be as prepared as possible so I know what to do. Also, I've read that if you lower the temperature about 1/2 degree, you're more likely to hatch females. Does that really work? Thank you all so much! I'm excited to hear your tips!

Hello, so I am by no means an expert with shipped, but I recently received shipped call duck eggs- I received 18 eggs and have 9 currently in lockdown- so about 50% success up until now, hoping most / all hatch.

Here is what I was advised with shipped eggs:

1. let them sit on the counter, pointy side down, at room temp for 24hrs after you receive them.
2. After you let them rest for 24hrs, place in incubator- again pointy side down. I also have the kebonnixs 12 egg incubator so what i did was cut up cardboard egg cartons to place inside the incubator with the eggs. Leave them like this for 1-2 days (keep egg turner off).
3. After incubating pointy side down for 1-2 days, then lay on side and incubate as normal- using egg turner.

That seemed to work really well for me- I had 15/18 eggs begin developing with this method. Best of luck to you!

Hello, so I am by no means an expert with shipped, but I recently received shipped call duck eggs- I received 18 eggs and have 9 currently in lockdown- so about 50% success up until now, hoping most / all hatch.

1. let them sit on the counter, pointy side down, at room temp for 24hrs after you receive them.
2. After you let them rest for 24hrs, place in incubator- again pointy side down. I also have the kebonnixs 12 egg incubator so what i did was cut up cardboard egg cartons to place inside the incubator with the eggs. Leave them like this for 1-2 days (keep egg turner off).
3. After incubating pointy side down for 1-2 days, then lay on side and incubate as normal- using egg turner.

That seemed to work really well for me- I had 15/18 eggs begin developing with this method. Best of luck to you!
You nailed it. I also leave the turner off for a day or two after setting them.

I already ended up setting the eggs last Saturday, so today is day 4. When I set them, I put them in with the turner, so they've been turned consistently since day 1. Hopefully they'll still be fine. 😅 I'm going to candle them later this afternoon, so I'll see how they're developing. Thank you so much for your help though! I'll definitely try this next time.

Back
Top Bottom