emmasflock

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
I have a 3 year old Easter egger who has always had runny stool. As a chick she was healthy and clean, but she had runny stool. She’s still acting fine and laying fine, but her feathers around her vent are caked with poo and I can’t get it out. She’s been to the vet and did a round of antibiotics but that hasn’t changed anything. The other hens have normal stool and clean bottoms. What should I do?

Ok.. she's not "sick" if she is pooing like that same as humans it's her body detoxing itself U need to give her healthy food clean water and clean the poo out of her coop or sleeping area if you are not doing it enough because they breath in the fumes from that and that can disrupt the terrain of the animal. The "medicine" you are giving her antibiotics ect.. from the vet is bad for her health it stops the detoxing process from taking place. Humans and animals do not get "sick" what most people think of as sickness is actually the natural detoxing of the body going on and needs to take place for the individual to get better, if you give her pharmaceutical drugs it just slows the process but issue will resurface again. Her feathery body is much clever then U think and knows how to regulate itself and health we just have to give the correct conditions for this to happen, which happens naturally when given the opportunity.

Also to add if another one of your chickens get "sick" like with humans they think they "catch" something from another it's not the case, it's either something in the environment or a symbiotic reaction the same way someone yawns and you "catch" it, if someone is detoxing near you "sick" and your body picks up on it, it can go ok.. there detoxing now i should do the same, if need be it is a reminder. The seasonal "flu" comes in winter it's a cycle of nature like summer ect.. like how some plants grow in different seasons its nature and just a natural process that will take place if it has too.

Last edited:
I have a 3 year old Easter egger who has always had runny stool. As a chick she was healthy and clean, but she had runny stool. She’s still acting fine and laying fine
Sounds like runny poop is normal for her.
You can trim the fluff around the vent to help her stay cleaner.

Probiotics as suggested may be worth a try. You can purchase those in feed stores or online. You can also try giving her white cooked rice with buttermilk as a treat a few times a week to see if that makes a difference. (About 1Tablespoon buttermilk mixed with 2 Tablespoons of white cooked rice)

I would pull of any dried droppings clinging to feathers. Then trim any excess fluff with scissors. Lastly a shallow soapy wash in a 2 gallon bucket as needed is how I would keep her clean. In winter, only do the bath if she can come inside to dry. Many feeds now have probiotics which are listed on the label. If not, plain greek yogurt has some, buttermilk as well, and there are commercial probiotics such as Purina proPlan FortiFlora, Probios, and Grow2max online and in some feedstores or vet offices. Drinking a lot of water in warm weather or with crop disorder can cause watery stools.

Sounds like runny poop is normal for her.
You can trim the fluff around the vent to help her stay cleaner.

Probiotics as suggested may be worth a try. You can purchase those in feed stores or online. You can also try giving her white cooked rice with buttermilk as a treat a few times a week to see if that makes a difference. (About 1Tablespoon buttermilk mixed with 2 Tablespoons of white cooked rice)
I’ll definitely add some probiotics, and if that doesn’t work I’ll try the buttermilk rice

I would pull of any dried droppings clinging to feathers. Then trim any excess fluff with scissors. Lastly a shallow soapy wash in a 2 gallon bucket as needed is how I would keep her clean. In winter, only do the bath if she can come inside to dry. Many feeds now have probiotics which are listed on the label. If not, plain greek yogurt has some, buttermilk as well, and there are commercial probiotics such as Purina proPlan FortiFlora, Probios, and Grow2max online and in some feedstores or vet offices. Drinking a lot of water in warm weather or with crop disorder can cause watery stools.
I’ll be sure to trim the feathers and give her a bath! Thanks for the advice :)

Ok.. she's not "sick" if she is pooing like that same as humans it's her body detoxing itself U need to give her healthy food clean water and clean the poo out of her coop or sleeping area if you are not doing it enough because they breath in the fumes from that and that can disrupt the terrain of the animal. The "medicine" you are giving her antibiotics ect.. from the vet is bad for her health it stops the detoxing process from taking place. Humans and animals do not get "sick" what most people think of as sickness is actually the natural detoxing of the body going on and needs to take place for the individual to get better, if you give her pharmaceutical drugs it just slows the process but issue will resurface again. Her feathery body is much clever then U think and knows how to regulate itself and health we just have to give the correct conditions for this to happen, which happens naturally when given the opportunity.

Also to add if another one of your chickens get "sick" like with humans they think they "catch" something from another it's not the case, it's either something in the environment or a symbiotic reaction the same way someone yawns and you "catch" it, if someone is detoxing near you "sick" and your body picks up on it, it can go ok.. there detoxing now i should do the same, if need be it is a reminder. The seasonal "flu" comes in winter it's a cycle of nature like summer ect.. like how some plants grow in different seasons its nature and just a natural process that will take place if it has too.
I clean their coop twice a day, including their waters, so I’m fairly confident they’re not ingesting any fumes.
I trust her veterinarian, and because of the success in other birds I don’t have a problem with antibiotics even though it didn’t work in this specific case.
As for catching sicknesses, I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. Many viruses directly cause symptoms, often to the disadvantage to the body. Contagens are a bit more than other chickens copying others’ symptoms and if they come into contact with infected items like supplies used for both contagious chickens and healthy ones, they can contract the illness without ever even seeing the symptoms of the sick birds.
As for giving her the right conditions, she has definitely had the time, space, and resources to get better, but she hasn’t yet which is why I feel the need to intervene.
Anyways, I can respect your viewpoint and I appreciate the input, however I think we have differing styles of chicken care.

It's fine you can disagree, when you have time have a bit of a look and research germ vs terrain theory to get a more holistic understanding. And learn how humanity has been misled when it comes to dis-ease.

Back
Top Bottom