Chronically slow crop, elder hen

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
I have a buff Orpington hen nearly 7, whose crop is chronically slow and only partly empties overnight. I treated her successfully last summer for sour crop, and a few weeks ago, cleared an habitually firm crop with regular feedings of scrambled egg mixed with firm coconut oil and massages, both of which she loved. However, this seems to be a chronic condition; her crop does not empty fully overnight and often feels pretty hard during the day. I'm not sure continuing to feed the egg/oil mixture is good for her health, but I haven't any other ideas. Her crop is not what I'd call pendulous, though it is hanging a bit low as sometimes occurs with older girls (jokes welcome here) and she has some broken feathers where I assume it rests on the roost. I do not want to put her in a crop bra because she really dislikes it and it interferes with dustbathing and other chicken pleasures. Any other "maintenance" ideas to keep the crop moving? She seems to feel well -- bossy, noisy -- and is laying.

Have you tried feeding fermented feed or a mash made of pellets/crumbles soaked in warm water for 15-30 minutes?
I tried fermented feed last summer; it proceeded the onset of her first crop episode, so I desisted, in case it wasn't setting well with her. I do sometimes feed all of them crumbles that have been soaked in warm water. Thanks for replying.

I had a young hen with a slow crop recently. Since my flock in general seemed off, I wormed them for the first time and treated for coccidiosis, since the pullets’ combs were pale.

The young hen in question improved, but then declined. She seemed “backed up,” so I eventually gave her baby bird formula with yogurt and molasses. She’s been better ever since. Could be a coincidence, but we’re both happy!

Can you offer her some yogurt with molasses mixed in and see how she does?

Maybe yogurt? The probiotics might help. I am guessing here, I put a tablespoon in my wet feed in the morning.
Thanks. I offer yogurt regularly, too, and probiotics in water. I may just have to back off my vigilance and allow her to periodically enjoy grass and other hen delights, understanding her crop is a point of vulnerability, and that some point of vulnerability will one day end her life. The option is to deny her the occasional treats the whole flock enjoys and to continually and fretfully monitor and hover.

Back
Top Bottom