Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
Sounds like a perfect plan!!

Mine move enough to keep feathers, they’re not raw anywhere. However I’m looking for two things to improve... their soiled ends... and the amount of time they’ll stay walking. I think encouraging more movement solves both... but more space will account for the behinds.

I’ve kept them on 2ft per chicken in the overnight coop. They’re totally comfortable in there, but I’ll do at least 4 in the future.
I started them in a wire dog crate as a brooder. They are already outgrowing it so will go in a larger brooder tonight. My biggest issue with the cornishX is the fact that they will only walk far enough to belly up to the feeder and tend to drag their bellies from 6 weeks on so they break their belly and chest feathers off as they get closer to processing age. I am hoping with the Heritage roosters out on pasture first that the cornish will follow them around the horse pasture. 2 acres total. We have plenty of bugs and ticks this year for them to eat up. I feel starting them at 3 weeks will make it so that they learn how to forage early on and then also feeding only in the evening to get them back into the grow out coop in the evening and everyone shut up against the predators.

Mine would move around to the shade. Come waddling to me at meal times. I thought I'd feed them enough, but they would scarf it. They never would return to the chicken tractor for sleeping. Pile up along the fence. I'd have to carry them back to tuck them in.

I am currently feeding the 25 rooster chicks around 1 large scoop probably about a pound of feed in the evening. Usually it lasts them a few days before they have cleaned out the feeder. They have a 1 gallon waterer as well. So far they just have access to the grow out coop which is about 8 by 12 feet. With 12 foot roosts as well as trees with branches inside it for enrichment toys lol. So far they haven't been let out since they only made it to the coop on Friday night. Giving them until Wed which is my next day off from work and then I will open the gate and let them out to free range in the horse pasture while I'm out there working on cutting up brush. In previous years they take quite a bit of time just exploring in the area they are in before they range out from it so I'll give them a little bit of free range time before I start letting the cornish go out with them.

I am currently feeding the 25 rooster chicks around 1 large scoop probably about a pound of feed in the evening. Usually it lasts them a few days before they have cleaned out the feeder. They have a 1 gallon waterer as well. So far they just have access to the grow out coop which is about 8 by 12 feet. With 12 foot roosts as well as trees with branches inside it for enrichment toys lol. So far they haven't been let out since they only made it to the coop on Friday night. Giving them until Wed which is my next day off from work and then I will open the gate and let them out to free range in the horse pasture while I'm out there working on cutting up brush. In previous years they take quite a bit of time just exploring in the area they are in before they range out from it so I'll give them a little bit of free range time before I start letting the cornish go out with them.
That seems like plenty of space while young and then for overnights while ranging. How long are they in the grow out coop, and once you add the Cornish how many will be in there?

That seems like plenty of space while young and then for overnights while ranging. How long are they in the grow out coop, and once you add the Cornish how many will be in there?
I have a total of 25 Heritage birds and then 20 CornishX and 14 Turkeys who will also be in a separate grow out coop but with access to the same 2 acres of property. I will make sure and add plenty of roosting areas for them for the night. My goal is that they will only be in the grow out area at night and I will pull birds from there as needed to process as they get older.

I think that’s perfect! I mean, I’m no expert. ;)

I dropped off my birds this morning. They were super comfortable on the trip, I’ve got an enclosed horse trailer with a full stall wall that I bedded down.

I think 2 ft per bird actually must be fine for cleanliness in overnight only because the processor was really complementary on the condition of the birds.

I know most of y’all ate old hands at this, and while I am not able to take on the processing myself yet, and don’t know about crossing that bridge, I feel so incredibly prideful today. My birds were healthy and happy their whole lives, they were not stressed at all with their journey as they’re used to handling, and now I get to nourish my family. It’s something I’ve never done and it’s a little overwhelming to be finished with something I looked forward to and planned for so long.

:wee:hugs:celebrate

I think that’s perfect! I mean, I’m no expert. ;)

I dropped off my birds this morning. They were super comfortable on the trip, I’ve got an enclosed horse trailer with a full stall wall that I bedded down.

I think 2 ft per bird actually must be fine for cleanliness in overnight only because the processor was really complementary on the condition of the birds.

I know most of y’all ate old hands at this, and while I am not able to take on the processing myself yet, and don’t know about crossing that bridge, I feel so incredibly prideful today. My birds were healthy and happy their whole lives, they were not stressed at all with their journey as they’re used to handling, and now I get to nourish my family. It’s something I’ve never done and it’s a little overwhelming to be finished with something I looked forward to and planned for so long.

That's so cool! I'd love to raise some meaties, but since I am smack dab in the center of the suburbs I'm very concerned with the smell/mess they would potentially create on top of the layer flock I already have.

That's so cool! I'd love to raise some meaties, but since I am smack dab in the center of the suburbs I'm very concerned with the smell/mess they would potentially create on top of the layer flock I already have.
With enough room, they really aren't bad. Just big chickens. Figure out how much space you have and limit yourself to that number. For me, 6 was easy. 26 kinda overwhelmed me, but most (21 for several reasons) made processing. Started in the tractor with the 6 and it was relatively easy.

Do try! Start small. ;)

You did awesome! You should feel great! I have hopes of doing something similar myself. Be sure to let us know how the flavor is.

Yes! Start small and try @danceswithronin!

You did awesome! You should feel great! I have hopes of doing something similar myself. Be sure to let us know how the flavor is.
:loveThanks! I can’t wait to hear about yours!

I can’t believe I wasn’t more prepared for eating. Furiously googling recipes right now. I’m thinking some of the smaller haaaaaave to be ready by Wednesday. :clap

Back
Top Bottom