Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
I would say, 5 to 6 pounds live would be 3.5 to 4 dressed. Nice fryer/broiler size to me.
Thanks! I might give them another week, then. I'm pretty impressed. They eat less than I thought they would and they're fatter yet more mobile than I imagined they'd be on free range.

Thanks! I might give them another week, then. I'm pretty impressed. They eat less than I thought they would and they're fatter yet more mobile than I imagined they'd be on free range.
In the 80's is the last time I raised them, but mine were fine until ~12 weeks, they sat down and would not move. I wanted to keep some, but those were the 10 pounds dressed heavy roasters. They got weak hocks, just could not walk. Large joints, swollen looking. That was the longest I ever kept them. After that 8-10 weeks & done. YUM.

In the 80's is the last time I raised them, but mine were fine until ~12 weeks, they sat down and would not move. I wanted to keep some, but those were the 10 pounds dressed heavy roasters. They got weak hocks, just could not walk. Large joints, swollen looking. That was the longest I ever kept them. After that 8-10 weeks & done. YUM.
I'm looking forward to processing some birds with actual chest cavity space for once. I'm used to skinny little layer types that scrape my hands when I reach in past the pubic bones. I did some CX with a friend last year—an all around easier experience. Maybe I'll be able to do them all in a day rather than stretching it out over multiple weekends.

I'm looking forward to processing some birds with actual chest cavity space for once. I'm used to skinny little layer types that scrape my hands when I reach in past the pubic bones. I did some CX with a friend last year—an all around easier experience. Maybe I'll be able to do them all in a day rather than stretching it out over multiple weekends.
Easier to pluck, too. Watch the pin feathers, you want to do them before they start to grow adult feathers for easier plucking time. Rjohns is an expert, at dressing birds. I have done 15 in one day, and now I would do less! (Too old for that now)!

Easier to pluck, too. Watch the pin feathers, you want to do them before they start to grow adult feathers for easier plucking time. Rjohns is an expert, at dressing birds. I have done 15 in one day, and now I would do less! (Too old for that now)!
I skin all my birds. I tried plucking—even when they're scalded, they're a PAIN. I don't roast them anyway, so there's no point, for my uses.

Back
Top Bottom