Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
I must not be doing it right, because it took me way longer than 10 minutes. I swore "never again" after trying it twice. :lol:
Maybe you need an experienced teacher! Now, plucking ducks is much more trouble, but I still think duck skin is worth it! For ducks, I would get a plucker. Better would be to go in with a friend like you did to help with his Cornish-X. Work goes faster if it is shared. I had a neighbor who was an expert in those days. I gave him a goose for his help on duck & goose day. Well worth the price! But, I do not need another one time a year item to store all year. Having enough trouble moving the stuff I have!

Maybe you need an experienced teacher! Now, plucking ducks is much more trouble, but I still think duck skin is worth it! For ducks, I would get a plucker. Better would be to go in with a friend like you did to help with his Cornish-X. Work goes faster if it is shared. I had a neighbor who was an expert in those days. I gave him a goose for his help on duck & goose day. Well worth the price! But, I do not need another one time a year item to store all year. Having enough trouble moving the stuff I have!
I'd kill for a good teacher! I taught myself to butcher and cull birds a year or two ago from books and the Internet. I still can't do a bird in anything less than a half hour, though having appropriate tools would sure help.
I've also heard of using wax for duck plucking. Ever tried that? Does it really work?

Last edited:
I'd kill for a good teacher! I taught myself to butcher and cull birds from books and the Internet. I still can't do a bird in anything less than a half hour, though having appropriate tools would sure help.
I've also heard of using wax for duck plucking. Ever tried that? Does it really work?
No, I have not used wax. Sounds like a huge mess if you ask me! But with the ducks, timing is extra important. You do not want to try and get out all their pin feathers. Before the molt, or just feed them and wait for the feathers to come in. The Pekins I had needed to be done by 8 weeks old.

No, I have not used wax. Sounds like a huge mess if you ask me! But with the ducks, timing is extra important. You do not want to try and get out all their pin feathers. Before the molt, or just feed them and wait for the feathers to come in. The Pekins I had needed to be done by 8 weeks old.
Hmm, noted. That definitely sounds like a pain in the neck, back, arms, and every other joint involved in bending over a duck for three hours straight. :lol:

:barnieYou get too tired to bend over, get a chair! 5 gallon bucket and bird on your knees with a plastic garbage bag. Ask me how I know;)
:highfive: See, now those are the kinds of things I always forget to think about until I'm in the middle of everything and my hands are all bloody.

Back
Top Bottom