Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
="Morrigan, post: 21833123, member:
I'm sort of in shock that this is happening. I keep wondering about things like traffic safety, looting and inability to communicate easily in case of an emergency from other causes.

Not to mention forcing 900,000 people to burn candles for light.

California's insanity is precisely why we're in Tennessee now. 60 years of that state was enough for me. Congrats on the hatch.

Last edited:
Imperial and Delaware growth photos

for some reason, I only grabbed a female imperial and male Delaware. Better luck next week.
3C1435A3-D500-466C-85EB-AE178F418FCF.jpeg

6EB01328-849F-46BE-AD3E-22650E25C0D2.jpeg

——
I really like these Delawares. They are incredibly active and outgoing and very personable. Most let you pick them up easily and stay for handling. There are some pretty big size discrepancies amongst them, I wonder if size consistency is a standard issue with heritage utility flocks? There are several teeny tiny boys, and some boys that almost compare to some of the imperials.

of course, the largest ones, and my favorite personality boy that is also large, are already against the standard for coloring. I’m not really totally clear on what my goals may be, but I’m not very sure the standard, but especially color, are really a part of them yet. We will see. I think ultimately I want to hold back two of the largest boys with the best personalities, regardless of certain faults. As you can see the boys are developing rather early.

Next week is 6 weeks, and I will weigh them all. It’s clear I have several boys out of the supposedly all pullet Imperials, which will be great for comparison.

The Imperials.

I like these birds just as much as the other specialty broilers. They’re definitely more “heritage” than any other broiler I have had in terms of activity. They scratch and peck and fly and run and peck and run and dust bathe and run. Oh... did I mention they run? They’re super personable for sure and feathering our beautifully. They’re clearly fine genetics, they’re growing like weeds, and built solidly. I’m very interested to see how they fill out, they’re supposed to have huge leg and thighs. They are not like the Delawares 100%, they definitely have lots of sit and eat tendencies, and sit and plop tendencies, but by far the most “natural” behaving meat bird I’ve had so far. They give me a run for my money trying to corral them. You’d never know by these...they must be saving their energy.
FF727675-CCB0-46A3-B2D2-3D7ABD6F8381.jpeg

I have had numerous hawk attacks. Bummer. They’ve run off with my 9 and 12 week olds, but I don’t think a meat bird yet. I’m trying to build and repurpose numerous shelters to keep them on the grass but safe. We will see...

photos from this week...I included several feeder shots for comparison overhead of multiple of each breed.

Also, I’m about to set 6 or 7 robust white eggs in the incubator! Fingers crossed!

2275B984-9312-4A84-B054-C3D36C47267C.jpeg

04BC9C5F-467A-4D33-90EB-4D76E3ABC076.jpeg

5EE17CC8-EF86-4523-8340-E5F4B6924CEB.jpeg

8EEFD0D7-BE33-4553-AEF4-3BE9AD919493.jpeg

Attachments

• FAD34FE2-C9D9-4550-99F7-5564E01A02C6.jpeg
    FAD34FE2-C9D9-4550-99F7-5564E01A02C6.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 2
The Imperials.

I like these birds just as much as the other specialty broilers. They’re definitely more “heritage” than any other broiler I have had in terms of activity. They scratch and peck and fly and run and peck and run and dust bathe and run. Oh... did I mention they run? They’re super personable for sure and feathering our beautifully. They’re clearly fine genetics, they’re growing like weeds, and built solidly. I’m very interested to see how they fill out, they’re supposed to have huge leg and thighs.

Are these from Moyers? I believe all 4 of my speciality broilers that hatched from my Moyer eggs are Imperials based on their coloring. They are a week old and I've been very pleased with their growth, hardiness and activity level. I'm very interested in seeing how yours grow out as well.

Imperial and Delaware growth photos

for some reason, I only grabbed a female imperial and male Delaware. Better luck next week.
View attachment 1938112

View attachment 1938114

——
I really like these Delawares. They are incredibly active and outgoing and very personable. Most let you pick them up easily and stay for handling. There are some pretty big size discrepancies amongst them, I wonder if size consistency is a standard issue with heritage utility flocks? There are several teeny tiny boys, and some boys that almost compare to some of the imperials.

of course, the largest ones, and my favorite personality boy that is also large, are already against the standard for coloring. I’m not really totally clear on what my goals may be, but I’m not very sure the standard, but especially color, are really a part of them yet. We will see. I think ultimately I want to hold back two of the largest boys with the best personalities, regardless of certain faults. As you can see the boys are developing rather early.

Next week is 6 weeks, and I will weigh them all. It’s clear I have several boys out of the supposedly all pullet Imperials, which will be great for comparison.

The Imperials.

I like these birds just as much as the other specialty broilers. They’re definitely more “heritage” than any other broiler I have had in terms of activity. They scratch and peck and fly and run and peck and run and dust bathe and run. Oh... did I mention they run? They’re super personable for sure and feathering our beautifully. They’re clearly fine genetics, they’re growing like weeds, and built solidly. I’m very interested to see how they fill out, they’re supposed to have huge leg and thighs. They are not like the Delawares 100%, they definitely have lots of sit and eat tendencies, and sit and plop tendencies, but by far the most “natural” behaving meat bird I’ve had so far. They give me a run for my money trying to corral them. You’d never know by these...they must be saving their energy.
View attachment 1938120

I have had numerous hawk attacks. Bummer. They’ve run off with my 9 and 12 week olds, but I don’t think a meat bird yet. I’m trying to build and repurpose numerous shelters to keep them on the grass but safe. We will see...

photos from this week...I included several feeder shots for comparison overhead of multiple of each breed.

Also, I’m about to set 6 or 7 robust white eggs in the incubator! Fingers crossed!

View attachment 1938113

View attachment 1938111

View attachment 1938118

View attachment 1938119

Nice comparison shots. I love the chick inside the feeder :gigmy Dorking mix pullet does that a lot.

Are these from Moyers? I believe all 4 of my speciality broilers that hatched from my Moyer eggs are Imperials based on their coloring. They are a week old and I've been very pleased with their growth, hardiness and activity level. I'm very interested in seeing how yours grow out as well.
From first go, I couldn’t tell the difference from the royal and imperial. But the royal develops way thicker... much closer to a Cornish in constitution. I’d imagine in a couple of weeks you’ll know which is which.

I am considering getting 4 Royal Reds then fill out the rest of the order with Hatchery choice specialty broilers.

do it!!!! If you contact John he will probably bump down the price when you tell him you post and follow along their growth online. Do you use a TDD system for phone calls? You could email him too. I’ll get his email to you when I’m back this afternoon.

Got 6 eggs set this morning. Should have set them yesterday cause I got a double today. The one laying well is now doing at least one double a week, followed by nothing for a day and then a small egg. So half these eggs are 7-9 days old, only three from this week.

:fl:fl:fl

I weighed my slow white broilers last night. There were 11 weeks old. The rooster were 7 and 7.6 lbs, (live weight) and the hens were between 5 and 5.5 lbs. I've slated next Wednesday for processing the roosters, and then give the hens another 2 weeks.

So far, I've been more impressed with my red ranger hen in terms of weight+good health and activity level over the SW broilers. I like them better then the normal CX, but I don't think I will get them again if I have the option of red rangers.

I weighed my slow white broilers last night. There were 11 weeks old. The rooster were 7 and 7.6 lbs, (live weight) and the hens were between 5 and 5.5 lbs. I've slated next Wednesday for processing the roosters, and then give the hens another 2 weeks.

So far, I've been more impressed with my red ranger hen in terms of weight+good health and activity level over the SW broilers. I like them better then the normal CX, but I don't think I will get them again if I have the option of red rangers.
After having different free range broilers I have to say I am most impressed with Red Ranger so far. On another note my Rationed Fed CX weigh about the same as your Slow White Broilers when it comes to weight at 11 weeks. I am hoping that means I am doing a great job of keeping their weight down for breeding.

After having different free range broilers I have to say I am most impressed with Red Ranger so far. On another note my Rationed Fed CX weigh about the same as your Slow White Broilers when it comes to weight at 11 weeks. I am hoping that means I am doing a great job of keeping their weight down for breeding.
I think it does speak well of your ability to keep their weight down. The CX hens I've butchered at 11 weeks had a dressed weight of 5 to 5.5 lbs. They were little tanks. Your CX look very much like my SWB hens.

Back
Top Bottom