Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I made my own cone out of aluminum flashing.
Here's the pattern, can't find a pic of it finished.
View attachment 2037983
Took some pics to go with pattern.
~7.5" dia at top, ~3.5 at bottom.
Rigged to attach to pole in garage.
1583701879136.png
1583701900670.png

Broom holders for plucking.
1583701988309.png

Yeah he pushed out if it completely. I was even holding it because he was heavy. He even kicked me.

Those roosters can be heavy. The technique my husband uses, is to hold the rooster by the legs with one had and then tuck it under his arm like a football. He holds it and talks to it, until it is calm, and then he lays its head on a stump, removes head with axe, and then drops it into the cone to bleed out. He makes it look effortless. Last year, when he hurt his hand, I had to step in, and oh man, it was hard. I did a good soothing the rooster, and getting its head cleanly on the stump, but I was not prepared at all for the death throes. I very nearly dropped it and I guess would have witnessed the proverbial "runs like chicken with its head cut off" thing. It didn't help that I stupidly started with a 15 lb rooster.

I don't think I could do them without my tub plucker.

As long as it's not more than a few birds at a time, I really don't mind the plucking too much. I think it's just an expectations game. I know it's going to be a bit of a pain going it, so I just resign myself to it. I'm hoping the NN crosses are going to be a little easier going.

I probably could be waited till 20 weeks, but he was being a pain in the butt to the pullets. I told myself I was doing it this weekend so I did.

I'll have to add some dorkings to my flock someday and try to cross it with the Giant.
The Dorking was a cross with a Red Ranger, a fast growing meat bird. Dorkings, and JG, don't grow particularly fast so my results aren't typical.

Those roosters can be heavy. The technique my husband uses, is to hold the rooster by the legs with one had and then tuck it under his arm like a football. He holds it and talks to it, until it is calm, and then he lays its head on a stump, removes head with axe, and then drops it into the cone to bleed out. He makes it look effortless. Last year, when he hurt his hand, I had to step in, and oh man, it was hard. I did a good soothing the rooster, and getting its head cleanly on the stump, but I was not prepared at all for the death throes. I very nearly dropped it and I guess would have witnessed the proverbial "runs like chicken with its head cut off" thing. It didn't help that I stupidly started with a 15 lb rooster.

As long as it's not more than a few birds at a time, I really don't mind the plucking too much. I think it's just an expectations game. I know it's going to be a bit of a pain going it, so I just resign myself to it. I'm hoping the NN crosses are going to be a little easier going.
I bet I could've plucked them if I put my mind to it, but I think I may try next time.

I'd never do more than 5 a day even skinning them

Back
Top Bottom