Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Congratulations on getting it done. Lots of lessons learned. Maybe the biggest is that you are capable, you really can do this.

Lots of personal preference in skinning versus plucking. My wife prefers them skinless which makes the decision pretty easy for me. I take care of that as I butcher instead if doing it later.

The older the cockerel the harder it can be to skin. The connective tissue that holds the skin onto the carcass starts getting serious say around 5 months. Mine mature at different rates so some are worse than others or develop that tissue a little later. It keeps getting worse as they age. A sharp knife to cut that tissue can really help. If the first one you try to skin is an old rooster you'd probably say never again. Old hens develop that tissue too but it's pretty negligible compared to the roosters. Old hens are not a problem for me.

If you butcher a chicken when they are molting you will get an ugly carcass if you pluck, especially if it is a dark feathered bird. I occasionally get a cockerel during a juvenile molt. I've also butchered spent hens when they are molting. Skinning avoids this.

Lots of valid reasons to go either way.
I haven't done an old rooster yet and I'm not sure that I will unless I have to.

We do have to put down our silver sebright today. He hasn't gotten any better in a week and there's zero sign of improvement.

I carry a roll of electrical tape... I tape their ankles so if they get away they don't go far... 4 wraps... keeps them from kicking out of the cone too
Maybe even one of those little velcro ties for keeping computer wires together. Some of those are pretty long so you could get a few wraps out of it. Reusable and probably easier to use than fighting with tape.

Anyone ever try putting a bungie cord on the top of the cone? Put him in, run the bungie between legs and attach back to cone, then you have a seat belt of sorts to keep them from flipping out...

Mounting the cone to a horizontal bar so that the top of the cone is above or even with the top of the bar may help too, nothing for them to be able to contact with feet

Maybe even one of those little velcro ties for keeping computer wires together. Some of those are pretty long so you could get a few wraps out of it. Reusable and probably easier to use than fighting with tape.

Anyone ever try putting a bungie cord on the top of the cone? Put him in, run the bungie between legs and attach back to cone, then you have a seat belt of sorts to keep them from flipping out...

Mounting the cone to a horizontal bar so that the top of the cone is above or even with the top of the bar may help too, nothing for them to be able to contact with feet
Good ideas. I'm going to create something so I don't have a headless chicken running around again. We should be processing again in about 3 months.

I'm unsure the breeds on the chickens we are doing next because they were free eggs and from another farm. Hoping I can add at least 1 pullet to see if it's an olive egger.

Need to get the tape tight.
I have the end of the tape on the roll bent over so it's easy to get. I have in right pocket. I hold the bird legs in left hand and his chest on ground. Get the tape out with right hand take it to left hand holding bird. Grap the tape end with left hand, still holding bird, pull and wrap tight with right hand. Grab tape by birds leg with left, pull with right until tape breaks. Put tape roll back and bird in cone.
Took longer to type than to do. But when I was working did this with wires at work...so it's easy for me.
I use the Velcro ties for my Black raspberries and we'll don't get along. I don't think I could use them with a fighting bird by myself

I have heard of people using the bungie like you discribed, I have not tried it.

I use a cut up kitty litter jug and the feet hang out...have the feet away from the support.

I put all the chicken I couldn’t fit in the freezer in a pot. 18 pounds of backs and some wings, I’m going to make a super super concentrated bone broth.

simmering an hour and I have SO much scum. I’m currently hand skimming it off into a wire strainer... then putting the liquid back in tbe soup. Once it stops putting scum out I’ll use my NEW FAT SEPARATOR to get all the fat. There’s almost an inch of liquid gold fat on top already.

Am I missing something? Is there a better or faster way to do this? I don’t want that scum going back in the broth right? And I don’t want it in my separated fat either right?

B8D26F10-9BD3-4F12-B1A8-17237936F6AE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom