Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I'll try it on the next ones. You do it before you rest them?

Obviously the little 2 lb birds I wouldn't half because it's not a ton of neat. But anything close to 4 lbs would have to be cut in half.

First I need to see if he actually likes the heat compared to the grocery store 😂
I usually part out when I process. I separate the thighs and drumsticks, cut off wings, cut out the back, cook the whole breast, freeze the rest.

I like to spatchcock the smaller ones. You cut down each side of the backbone with good shears and then flip it over and smash down the breast until the bone breaks and it lays flat. Then you cook it with the legs turned out, all flat-like. There are videos on YouTube.

To halve one, I'd probably cut the backbone out the same way. Not sure how I'd deal with the breastbone though.

I like to spatchcock the smaller ones. You cut down each side of the backbone with good shears and then flip it over and smash down the breast until the bone breaks and it lays flat. Then you cook it with the legs turned out, all flat-like. There are videos on YouTube.

To halve one, I'd probably cut the backbone out the same way. Not sure how I'd deal with the breastbone though.
I have a bone cutter so I'm sure it would work.

I do not use a pressure cooker when making broth. I use a crock pot and cook it overnight at low setting. That translates to 14 to 20 hours. Some people making bone broth may go for two or three days. I keep a cover on it to keep the liquid from evaporating away. I concentrate it by cooking it longer to get the good stuff instead of boiling the water off.

I don't worry about the foam but I hardly ever see any.

This is the same way I make broth. I haven't noticed any foam either.

There is a world of difference in the amount of fat in a male and female.

That's what I have found as well, unless you are talking about a breed like a CX that are butchered so young. I haven't noticed a big difference in fat between a 10 week old male and female CX -- neither has a lot. I did notice a pretty big jump up in fat, when I processed an Imperial broiler female at 15 weeks. But, nothing compared to a laying hen in her prime. Loads and loads of fat.

I started in a massive crawfish pot with all the meat early AM yesterday and cooked all day on the stove. Put it in a large dutch oven overnight.

this morning I strained the broth out and then boiled it down to a super thick concentrate of about 3 cups worth and poured it into ice cube trays. I put them in the fridge to harden before freezing and they were firmer than gummy bears! So. Much. Gelatin. I think a single cube will be 2-3 cups of broth. There’s no way I had space for 25-35 cups of broth, but 12 one inch cubes in a bag is amazing....this was an excellent experiment for saving freezer space.

I got 3.5 cups of fat as well. I’ve read that before storing it I need to remove the moisture from it.

Back
Top Bottom