Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Forgot to add. @Parront -- based on the green legs and lack of a monster comb, if that chick hatched from my flock, I would be almost 100% certain it was a female.
Not ever having had NN before, I am happy to hear it! This is a cross-bred bird that I don't have anything to compare it with. Some roosters, you can tell just by the attitude as soon as they hatch! This is the biggest bird of all, but lets the others pick on it and even steal prize treats from it. If it was smaller, it would not survive!

I’m butchering some quail and 7 cockerels this 3 day weekend. Most likely it’ll happen on Monday. I have Schofield Silver Quail and some I don’t like the looks of so I’ll use them for meat and add colors I like from new batches I hatch.

I fixed my vacuum sealer... when I was sealing the Cornish they were so fat they broke the thing and it would vacuum anymore 😂 Last time I do Cornish (unless TSC cuts me a deal next year)

I’m butchering some quail and 7 cockerels this 3 day weekend. Most likely it’ll happen on Monday. I have Schofield Silver Quail and some I don’t like the looks of so I’ll use them for meat and add colors I like from new batches I hatch.

I fixed my vacuum sealer... when I was sealing the Cornish they were so fat they broke the thing and it would vacuum anymore 😂 Last time I do Cornish (unless TSC cuts me a deal next year)
What broke on it?

Just got a batch of cornish x in from freedom ranger hatchery. Wanted to participate in the awesome wealth of information that is @jolenesdad meat bird thread. Looking forward to sharing info with you all.
20200902_093252.jpg

All 26 arrived alive and they all seem active. This is my second run with cornish, first with Freedom Ranger hatchery. They are supposedly Ross 308 line. Looking forward to see how they perform compared to my last unspecified batch from thechickhatchery. Growing your own food is addictive!

What broke on it?
Think the spring or something that holds the left side down to suck out the air. I just have to hold it down when I vacuum out the air which doesn’t bother me

I thought it was the gasket but it wasn’t. I pushed the left side down and it started working. I’ll buy a new one once this one doesn’t work at all

Here is a heritage dual purpose bird for you guys.
IMG_5076.JPG

Barred Holland cockerel, 10 weeks old. The rest (5) get another week, too many pin feathers. Approx. 2 1/2 pounds live wt. 1 3/4 dressed, not including the feet.
IMG_5080.JPG

Ready for the frig.
IMG_5082.JPG
Breast ready for the BBQ. Just need another chicken if you like the breast.

Back
Top Bottom