Are Our 9 Week Olds Chrowing Chickens or Crowing Roosters? Please See Pics.

• Total voters
Sorry they all turned out to be cockerels. I've heard of folks keeping them in a bachelor pad - as long as no females are around, they can get along peacefully.

This can and cannot be 100% true. I have a bachelor pad and some Roosters will bully the other ones into submission and starvation even with 3 hanging feeders. So be warned if you have multiple males together and dont be like me and find out the hard way when you have a rooster on deaths door and don't know why until you sit out there for hours and watch a pint sized twerp beating up on a $30 rooster to the point he won't eat from any feeder, not even off the ground because of the nasty twit. Just my experience and fair warning

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for all the advice. You all have been great. The roos are crowing even more today. So sad to say I have put them up for free on Craigslist. I'm hoping they will go to a good home. And I must say we will never buy from a straight run again. We would rather pay the extra money to have them sexed and shipped then go through loving them and loosing them.

Hugs to you all

I want to thank everyone for all the advice. You all have been great. The roos are crowing even more today. So sad to say I have put them up for free on Craigslist. I'm hoping they will go to a good home. And I must say we will never buy from a straight run again. We would rather pay the extra money to have them sexed and shipped then go through loving them and loosing them.

Hugs to you all
:highfive:

Enjoy the chickens!

You beat me to it!!!
Those are cockerels, I do not see any RIRs, hens can crow but that usually only happens once they get extremely old and stop laying. I think a hormone imbalance is what causes hens to crow, it can also cause hens to grow rooster feathers.
A female chicken under one year is a Pullet
A male chicken under one year is a Cockerel
A female chicken over one year is a Hen
A male chicken over one year is a Rooster
Female chickens are either Hens or Pullets, not "chickens"
Both female and male chickens are Chickens. All of the birds in these pictures are chickens.

Just wanted to do an updated of our three 10 week old Roo's. They are crowing louder, longer, and more often. We have to keep them apart from one another and our girls. We are keeping the boys indoors since we are not aloud "roosters" in our town. But don't worry the roo's get plenty of supervised "yard time" by themselves when the girls are in the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_20180531_093436.jpg
    IMG_20180531_093436.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20180531_092728.jpg
    IMG_20180531_092728.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20180531_092226.jpg
    IMG_20180531_092226.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom