Chuck roast & short ribs

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
We just got a 1/4 of grass feed beef. He was abig boy, dressed out at over 1200 lbs! Live weight was just over a ton!
ep.gif

Any rate, I don't have much experience with cooking chuck roasts and short ribs and need recipe ideas.

Thanks

Hi-I just cooked a very large chuck roast this week-end from our farm raised beef. I was really afraid it would be tough as chuck roasts usually are, but I made a rub for it, browned it in olive oil , covered it with onion slices and put it in my slow cooker. I cooked it for about 5-6 hours, added some carrots the last hour. It was wonderful. The juice that was created from cooking in the slow cooker was nice and dark brown with a great flavor to pour over brown rice or mashed taters!! Short ribs are good cooked slow also, or make a stew with onions, potatos & carrots. I like to cook the short ribs in my pressure cooker first then add the veggies and look cook till they are done. You will need to skim the grease off of the ribs by cooling or just dipping it off. Its great to flavor your stew but you don't want to have all that much grease in your final dish.

I love this short ribs recipe and make it often.
I use a big oval enamel roasting pan.

Preheat oven to 425*F

Put the short ribs in the pan and roast uncovered in the hot oven
for a few minutes to sear them; turn them often so they sear
on all sides. If you're doing lots of ribs, sear them in batches, so
they all get to be seared at the bottom of the pan.

While the short ribs are in the oven getting seared, combine the three ingredients
to make the sauce.

Sauce:
In a separate bowl, combine equal amounts of Ketchup (I use Heinz), and
grape jam (not jelly). I use the entire amount of a 32 ounce jar of Welch's concord grape jam.
Stir it up to blend it well, and then add a cup or two of hot beef broth. (I use Knorr brand of beef bouillion cubes
to make the broth.).

Remove the roasting pan from the oven and transfer the seared ribs to a platter.

Turn the oven down to 400*

If a lot of liquid fat has accumulated in the bottom of the pan, discard most of it.

Line the bottom of the hot roasting pan with sliced or chopped sweet onions and sliced or chunked carrots. How many onions
and carrots is arbitrary; I usually aim for about two inches deep at least of the combined
onions and carrots. (More is better.) Put the seared ribs in the pan, on top of the veggies.

Pour all of the sauce into the roasting pan, drenching the meat and veggies. Sometimes I feel like I want it juicier, so
I quick make a whole 'nother batch of sauce and pour it in.

Put the cover on the roasting pan and bake at 400* for at least two hours. Or at 325* for three or four hours.
You'll know it's done when the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender, and soft, and delicious, and the whole thing will
smell like heaven. I salivate as I write this.
Enjoy
-Carolyn P.S. This dish freezes very well. Just reheat in the microwave.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...chuck roast!

That is the only kind I buy...so jealous yours is fresh! I always toss a 4-6 pounder (or 2 smaller ones) in the crockpot with 2 cups water, beef gravy seasoning and a few beef buillion. The gravy mix acts as a sort of tenderizer. At the last minute, I stir in a can of cream of mushroom soup. Makes a perfect beef-n-noodles sauce. Also, you can omit the soup and add veggies. Voila!

My mom used to make vegetable beef soup with short ribs.

Boil those bones all day long with
1 onion - chopped
3 ribs of celery - chopped
1 bell pepper - chopped
2 garlic cloves - chopped
1 pound of baby carrots
1 can of cut green beans
2 cans of whole corn
1 can of tomato soup
2 quarts of water
4 beef bullion cubes
4 chicken bullion cubes
1/4 cup of good rum (optional - I use Bacardi, it gives the broth a really rich flavor)
Boil until the meat is about to fall off the bone

add about 3 pounds of cubed potatoes and cook til just fork tender

Serve with loaves of Gump bread

Time for Coffee Roast!
Take a nice chuck roast and brown it on all sides. Either put it in a crock pot or leave it in the original skillet doesnt matter much. Add enough strong brewed coffee to come up level with the top of the roast cover and cook slow till its falling apart tender. Pull the roast out and make gravy with the juice left in the pan. I serve it with mashed potatoes ,and green beans. Makes the best gravy and the meat has rich flavor and falls apart. This got me voted best hunting camp cook twice lol.

Breezy, that coffee roast sounds interesting. Have you ever made it with elk or venison? I'm trying to use up my game freezer, and don't have a lot of beef right now.

I have used elk ,beef,venison and moose. Really disliked the moose but the others came out pretty good. I seem to get a better roast when I cook game in the crockpot instead of the oven. Let me know what you think its a favorite of my husbands. Hope you enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom