Chukar Partridge possibly infected, dizzy (ataxia) and shaking! HELP!

machopartridge

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2021
Chicago, IL
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
  • Chukar Partridge (red-legged partridge)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
  • he shakes and he is laying down (more than usual). can't seem to stand up. seems dizzy when he tries to walk

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
  • past 3 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
  • no other birds

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
  • he lost feathers from a fight 1 month ago but seemed to recover from that - no recent trauma

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
  • possible infection (fungal or bacterial) not sure how to diagnose

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
  • game bird feed, fresh water, lettuce - daily

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
  • normal - no apparent signs from poop

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
  • calcium supplement in water (20 mg of calcium) and st. john's wort (15 mg)

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
  • anything to identify the type of infection (would go to avian vet if possible)

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
  • none

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
  • lives in outdoor sunroom

please help!

How big is the enclosure, how many other birds are in the enclosure? What is the temperature of the enclosure? Is it a male or female?

What brand of gamebird feed do you feed and the percent protein?

Do you feed any cereal grains as a treat?

Can you post a video of this birds behavior?

Last edited:
How big is the enclosure, how many other birds are in the enclosure? What is the temperature of the enclosure?

What brand of gamebird feed do you feed and the percent protein?

Do you feed any cereal grains as a treat?

Can you post a video of this birds behavior?

enclosure is fairly large (11 ft x 10 ft sunroom) see attached for visual, total of 5 partridges in the enclosure

brand of gamebird feed is "Manna Pro Gamebird Showbird Feed" 24% protein

treats are usually seeds and lettuce

I can post a vide tomorrow morning

Attachments

• sunroom-ideas-1582923624.jpeg
    sunroom-ideas-1582923624.jpeg
    606.3 KB · Views: 11
The reason I asked about the cereal grains (seeds) is because it could be Ergotism, if Claviceps spp is present it can cause those symptoms.
Claviceps spp is a fungi that attacks the selerotium in wheat and rye grains (mycotoxins) which affect the nervous system. Can cause convulsions and other sensory neurologic disorders.
There is no medication for treatment, other than eliminating feeding the grains.
If the grains contaminated with the fungi were used in the manufacturing of the feed, it could be present without the mill having any idea that it was contaminated with Claviceps.

I've had birds that have had Ergotism, they recovered after I quit using the feed that was contaminated.

The reason I asked about the cereal grains (seeds) is because it could be Ergotism, if Claviceps spp is present it can cause those symptoms.
Claviceps spp is a fungi that attacks the selerotium in wheat and rye grains (mycotoxins) which affect the nervous system. Can cause convulsions and other sensory neurologic disorders.
There is no medication for treatment, other than eliminating feeding the grains.
If the grains contaminated with the fungi were used in the manufacturing of the feed, it could be present without the mill having any idea that it was contaminated with Claviceps.

I've had birds that have had Ergotism, they recovered after I quit using the feed that was contaminated.
thank you so much, any recommendations on what to switch to? new bag of feed maybe?

thank you so much, any recommendations on what to switch to? new bag of feed maybe?
Wouldn't hurt to get a new bag, check the lot code to be sure it's not from the same run....but that's not a 100% guarantee that the new bag will not have the contaminated grains as well. MannaPro is a pretty good brand of feed.
The only way to know for sure is to have a lab analysis done on the feed to check if it is present (Claviceps)....and that can take weeks and is expensive.

Also, has it 'flushed' into anything, (that you know of) hit it's head? That can also cause those symptoms but usually they recover within a few days if they don't break their neck in hitting a rafter or another solid surface.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hurt to get a new bag, check the lot code to be sure it's not from the same run....but that's not a 100% guarantee that the new bag will not have the contaminated grains as well. MannaPro is a pretty good brand of feed.
The only way to know for sure is to have a lab analysis done on the feed to check if it is present (Claviceps)....and that can take weeks and is expensive.
thanks again really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom