cleaning and selling duck eggs?

Quote:
It sounds like heavy 'bloom' to me. it helps to let the eggs slide out and is fairly water proof. A little vinegar on a cloth should remove it if that is what it is.

I sell eggs through a local store, so they need to look nice. The same company that puts out those green scrubby pads make ones made out of sisal (hemp-like material) and I buy those and just lightly scrub off my eggs. I use the natural ones because I always feel like the green pads leave a weird residue. I don't use soap or anything, just the abrasive pad, and my eggs look perfect.

Couldn't get away with selling un-washed eggs, that's for sure.

I am duck sitting for a BYC memeber that sold her house and is looking for the right place to buy. In the meantime she said she sells eating eggs from her muscovies on craigslist for $10/dozen. She never had eggs piling up, even at that price, with three hens laying steady. Run an ad in craigslist and see what happens. You can always drop your price a lot easier than raising it.

Thanks for the ideas! I will try vinager as well as a more natural fiber for scrubbing them. I am not sure who wants to eat a duck egg that looks like the ones I collect, lol. So far my cleaning has made them tolerable but I am sure my whole fam would appreciate them looking just as nice and clean as our chicken eggs
wee.gif

Wifezilla :) you have great info!!

Thank you for your posts.

About the food poisoning case- I thought you might find info from Weston A Price (I think it's westonaprice.org) interesting in this regard. They talk about how critical Vitamins D and A are to immunity! and the more "traditional" someone's diet is, the more D and A they would have. That "tan" would indicate more of both in the people who stayed healthy. I found that fascinating.

I bought eggs from a local woman who free ranges chickens and ducks. The eggs are pretty dirty. They're dirty enough I don't feel comfortable cracking them. I was told steel wool, then wipe them with a warm cloth, and finally an iodine based sanitizer if they were particularly muddy before cleaning- but will this do more harm than good? I'm seeing stuff that totally disagrees with this as well. If I'd grown it myself I would feel more comfortable (we're supposed to get land soon... I hope... I hope... I hope...) but I didn't. I will be feeding them to my 14mo old baby girl. I give her raw yokes- so I want to be careful- and for that reason I've always given her the USDA inspected "Free-Range" eggs before (though I know darn well they aren't truly running around free, and true free range eggs are so much more nutritious. So now I'm torn- I'd like to give her the more nutritious eggs, now that she's over a year- but it still makes me nervous. The yolks are a gorgeous deep sunrise orange... so I know they're Loaded with D and A.

Did anyone mention that if the eggs are not fertilized they will last longer? 5 weeks at room temp with good quality.
The best way to keep duck eggs "clean" is to use sand where they lay and get them asap. Good luck!

This is what i have been doing.I wash them with a fingernail brush the bristles are very soft.I brush in a circular motion and the water is warm and its just been plain water.People have been buying my eggs at 3.50 for 6. I sell peking eggs so far.I hope this is right would not want anyone to get sick. i use those plastic bins with the front cuts out in a half circle and wheat straw on bottom,the hens go in there lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom