Cleaning Chicken Poop In Coop!

Quote:
[Dr Seuss] Would you clean it with a scoop? Would you clean it with some soup?[/Dr Seuss]

lau.gif

food grade Diatomaceous Earth. It has to be FOOD GRADE. You can sprinkle this in their coop, their run, add to their food. It is a great product but again be sure it is FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth.

I agree with you Barnyard, whew tiring just reading! Our coop has hardware mesh on the bottom inside (roosting area) as well as the bottom of the run. Under the roosting coop mesh I have a poop drawer that I take out every other day to empty in the compost heap and spray it down with water and then use a mixture of water and vinegar on it about once a week or so. (they free range the back yard during the day and just use the attached run when I can't be around to watch over them). I powered all the inside walls and roosting bar with DE as well as the run lol and well pretty much my entire backyard.

DE also gets rid of fleas in the yard.

Quote:
[Dr Seuss] Would you clean it with a scoop? Would you clean it with some soup?[/Dr Seuss]

lau.gif

Would you rake it in the lake? Would you rake it with a stake?

Once a year. I have a sub-ground dirt floor (see BYC page) with deep litter. The poo composts and I clean it out in the spring as fertilizer for my garden, then add clippings and rakings of pine needles etc. all summer long.

I scoop the poo and litter out once a week then add fresh litter and DE in the coop, the run is dirt. When we mow the lawn the grass clippings are added on top of the dirt in there. Every week or so I rake out the grass clippings with lots of poo mixed in and add it to our compost. I scrape the roosts with a paint scraper and slather DE on those as well.

Quote:
I used bleach then I read on Estes Hatchery website to not EVER use bleach.

Hydrogen Peroxide does the same thing as Bleach but is safer.

Back
Top Bottom