Cleaning Chicken Poop In Coop!

I have averaged twenty to thirty chickens in the same pen for 15 or more years. It has a high roof, wire walls and dirt floor and I occasionally put down a thin layer of straw. I clean out the bedding in the laying boxes a few times a year and throw it on the floor as well. Of course it's well ventilated, not much odor at all. I ran a tiller through the pens once and I have shoveled out some of the top layer a few times. That’s about it; the chickens are happy and healthy.

Last edited:
I stir up the droppings under the roost and monthly usually I add more shavings...stir again. Twice a year I do a deep clean.

Quote:
lau.gif

Would you rake it in the lake? Would you rake it with a stake?

Would you sweep it with a broom? Would you throw it out of the room?

Quote:
If the bags are paper I would roll it up and compost them as well. I reuse paper shopping bags to hold kitchen compost and then just toss the whole thing in.

the bottom of the coop is straw. The only "poopy" part is right under the roost, so every few days I just kind of roll up the top layer of the straw and add some new. Takes about 10 seconds.

I am surprised this thread has gone on for 5 pages and no one has mentioned sand as a flooring. We have sand in the chicken coop, including under the roost and then in their run. We only have 8 chickens but it takes me less than 5 minutes to scoop poop with a kitty litter scoop and a bucket each morning. You wouldnt believe how easy this is.

Hello! This topic is quite old but I'm gonna reply anyway cuz I'm bored
lol.png

I have a sister so we take turns cleaning poop out each day. We don't have a very large coop but that doesnt make it any easier. (well, maybe) I HATE cleaning out the poo but i guess that is something i have to do. I put newspaper on the ground. We have bought a bag of pine shavings so we'll be using that soon. We have 3 boxes with a layer of NP and hay. We did have a roost but we got rid of it. We first get a plastic bag. We roll up the paper and put in the the plastic bag. Then we roll up the paper with the hay in the bozes. We put new paper in the boxes and floor. Then we use our awesome, used to be a cooking tool, pooper scooper to scrape the poo of the ground. It's my turn to clean the chicken poo today and they pooed a bit too much. lol

Am I the only one on BYC with a poop slide? I have a dirt floor, so I only rake it when it looks dirty, hardly ever! But the poop slide saves me a lot of work. 15 seconds with the hose in the morning, and all that poop is in a bucket. Then I throw the bucket out under some trees. Works great for me, in my Florida coop.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom