Cleaning/refreshing questions

Julieschicks

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
Pearland, TX
This is our coop. It’s about 5’x10’ with a concrete floor. We have 3 5mo old pullets and 8 2.5mo old pullets. I have Sweet PDZ under the roosts and pine shavings in the rest.
448420FB-27B3-45D6-95C0-BEB95CF76E70.jpeg

I sift out the pdz every morning, but obviously the shavings still get pooped on throughout the day when they’re inside. I’ve added some shavings here and there over the last two weeks as it’s gotten compressed or scratched around. My main question is, how long can I go with just adding new shavings before I need to completely scoop everything out and start fresh?? Is there anything else I should be doing in the meantime? Is just adding new when it’s needed fine or should I also be fluffing it up every so often? They’ve only been in this coop about 3 weeks so I want to make sure I get a good cleaning routine started. Thank you!

I would suggest you put a real poop board under roosts for PDZ,
eventually the shavings ad PDZ will be all mixed up.

I just add some shavings once in awhile, stir them up every few days, then totally change out shavings twice a year.
full

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
-Runs have semi-deep litter, never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 4 years.

Yeah, they mix the shavings in some, but not too bad...for now. It’s easier for right now for me to crawl under the roosts to scoop the poop in the back. Not sure I could reach with a higher poop board. Your routine sounds about what my line of thinking was, so I feel a lot better about that. Thanks!

How deep would your board need to be, under your roosts? It looks like 30" - 32". If you can't reach back far enough, just make something to drag the poop forward, to scoop it out. then push the PDZ back. Eventually it will get all mixed in if you keep it on the floor, like aart said. A poop board under the roosts will give your chickens more clean floor space also, in case you need to skip a day here and there.

My poop board is 24" deep x 12' long and has about 1/2" of PDZ in it. I use a kitty litter scoop and a scraper to keep everything clean. I add some new shavings every couple months and will clean it out once a year.

20180411_201121.jpg

Another note...put the poop board about 8-10" below the roosts, it's enough to reach the hoe under pretty easy without touching roost with your hand/arm.

How far out the front should the poop board go...like how far past the front roost branch? My husband is scheming to get one of the big plastic election signs around town to possibly use for a poop board. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom