Clever way to worm with Safeguard?

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
We are both cursing ...

We have them all in one area are catching them and trying to get them to eat the piece of bread then scooting them into the coop. Problem is they are too worked up to eat the bread from our fingers while being caught. If we put the bread in the coop we have no idea who is eating the bread. Mentally stuck.

Is there an easier way??

This is MY opinion, and how I did it.
Safeguard is very safe. I worm my tiny poodle puppies with it all the time. I measure hap hazzardly.

I pinched up bread in a bowl, drizzled the goat safeguard over the bread
let my 5 hens out of the hen house first thing and they knew they were getting a treat. Sprinkled it all over the ground they ate it up.
My hens are 3 yr old and this is the first time I have ever wormed them. I dont think they have any, but with all the talk on here, I decided I might need to.

pam in TX

I'm giving this a whirl, but dosing may not be correct: I got the water-soluble bottle for goats that's the size of a normal bottle of vitamins (Fenbendazole) and I'm putting .5 cc in a gallon waterer. We'll see how it works!

I have the paste. So I'm imagining putting the dosage you mentioned in a water bottle say and shaking the heck out of it until the paste is worked in. Then giving it to the birds as their only source of water until gone.

I have 17 birds to do. Repeat in 10 days?

I have given my turkeys meds by dropper but for some reason I seriously fear those chicken beaks. I'd rather not have to pry them open. Yelp!

Also if it matters I'm wormer post fishzole for blackhead. Chickens and turkeys together yes, but that's how it has to be.
hmm.png

Quote:
When you say water soluble, do you mean a powder or what?
Thanks

It's the 10% suspension for goats.

I have looked all over and dosages vary a lot...but I think I should be using more based on most entries looking like this:

Panacur (Fenbendazole) is not licensed for use in Poultry in the UK. It is a wormer that is commonly used for cats and dogs but is a broad spectrum wormer that many vets will prescribe for poultry.

If you take your chickens to the vets for worming they will probably be given Panacur.

Used to treat: Large roundworm, caecal worm, gapeworm, hairworm and gizzard worm in poultry and the Taenia species of tapeworm.
Dosage: Varies according to the vet's advice. Usually between 10mg and 50mg per Kg of weight. Repeated 7 to 10 days later.
Active ingredient: Fenbendazole.
Egg withdrawal for chickens: Intervet (who make Panacur) advised 7 days following the last day of treatment.

Slaughtering for meat for human consumption: 7 days after the last treatment
Length of treatment: 7 to 10 days (dosage is repeated after 7 to 10 days).
Category: POM-VPS
Storage: In tightly closed original container below 25ºC and out of reach of children.
Further information can be found on NOAH Compendium of Animal Medicines
The advice given here is that of the authors and should not be considered as professional advice. Where there is conflicting information, you should always follow the advice of your vet.

Since mine is a 10%, it means it's 100mg/mL, so if I was to give 10-50mg/Kg of weight, a 5# hen would need ~2.25mg, and that means she'd have to drink 20-100% of that gallon of water...so I need to up the dosage.

Each pen drinks about 1/2-1 gallon a day here, so I'll need to figure each pen accordingly based on the average weight of the bird...some are drinking a WHOLE lot more than others in this heat, differing greatly by breed and age.

again, MY opinion....
I dont see how diluting it THAT much would even work.
I would think a wormer would need to be given undiluted in one dose per day to be strong enough to work.
That would be like someone taking their medicine in tee tiny doses thru out the day. Not enough to do anything.

pam in TX

Back
Top Bottom