Clipping flight wings.

LesleyS

Chirping
Aug 28, 2018
We allow our hens to free range and we have a 4' fence around the yard. If we clip the flight wings, will it prevent them from jumping on top of the fence and going over? Also, do you clip wings? If so, how?

We allow our hens to free range and we have a 4' fence around the yard. If we clip the flight wings, will it prevent them from jumping on top of the fence and going over? Also, do you clip wings? If so, how?

Clipping flight wings will prevent them from flying, not jumping.
how high they can jump depends on what breed they are.
I’ve seen my bantam roo jump on top of a 6 foot high fence with wings clipped.

I actually just went through this.
Mine were escaping their electro-netted pen by flying up to my 4' gate tops and jumping over. I started conservatively as I didn't want to clip wings in the first place.
Some say that if you take the primaries only on one wing it will knock them off balance. Nope. Everyone started with a single wing clip of primaries only and they all made it over.
Then I took the secondaries on that one wing for most of the birds and took the primaries on the second wing on the worst offenders. Still had escapees. These were my lighter weight LHs.
They received the most severe trimming of secondary and primary feathers. No one has since escaped the pen.
My hope is that once they get used to staying in their 1/4 acre pen, they will not need to be clipped again when they molt their feathers back in.

Back
Top Bottom