Clorox in drinking water?

I use 1 tbs apple cider vinegar per gallon of water. I have no algea, no pasty butt on chicks, no worms, and generally no problems. I got a LOT of stink eye the first couple of days I did it and the hens clearly thought very little of the smell, but then they got over it and don't even pay it any attention now.

THINK ABOUT IT ON KEEPING CLEAN FACTOR.
WE BUT BLEACH/CLORENE IN POOL WATER TO KEEP ALGIE OUT.
WHY NOT IN WATERERS ? MAKES SINCE TO ME.
I USE FAITHFULLY FOR CLEANLINESS,GERM PERVENTION, WORMER
PREVENTER OF ILLNESSES AND IF SICK TO KILL BACTERIA IN A FLOCK
AS MY GRAND PA TAUGHT ME.

Personally, I can't for the life of me imagine putting bleach in any drinking water, whether it's for my own use or for the use of my animals. Can't stand the flavor of chlorinated water. and a bit of algae on the side of your bird's waterer/bucket is not an issue. When you see green algae in a fish tank, it's actually a sign of a healthy tank. Perhaps a bit high in nutrients, but the water is usually healthy. Put a bit of ACV in the water, if you must. Put your waterer in the shade, for sure. When I clean my waterers, I use a fist full of creeping charlie, grass or hay, and sometimes a drop or two of soap to scrub them out. I have a spot on my lawn where I spilled some concentrated bleach/soap solution when I was cleaning something 2 years ago. Nothing will grow on that spot, even now. Currently have a compost bin there (though it's winter) to help heal the soil from that fiasco.

Last edited:
We had to add bleach (very small amount) to our drinking water years ago, while living overseas. Drought, water rationing, and contaminated water all the time. Not tasty! Chickens and other critters will drink the water out of puddles on the ground, and are happy and healthy with waterers that are rinsed out daily or every couple of days. Don't worry about a bit of algae! I agree with LG 100%. Mary

Back
Top Bottom