Close door on a cold night?

Henamored

Chirping
Sep 18, 2022
NW Florida
Hi! We have the large snap-lock coop for the girls, which is entirely enclosed in a predator proof run. They are 12 weeks old. We have left the coop door open 24/7 due to mild NW Florida temps. We are supposed to hit 37 degrees tonight and I don’t know if I should close the door for the night after they tuck themselves in? The top vents will be left open, I’m just not sure how cold is too cold. I’d appreciate any opinions, thanks!!!

They'll be fine as long as their roost area is draft free. It's the air trapped under their feathers that helps keep them warm. It it's windy their feathers get ruffled and they can't keep warm.
Thank you so much! This is our first flock so we’re a tad paranoid of doing right by them, I also happen to be an expert worrier 😉 it’s windy out and I don’t detect any drafts in the coop so we’re going to leave the door open, and I’ll check them tonight just to se sure they look comfy!

Dry chickens who are out of the wind and acclimated to the temperatures readily tolerate down to 0F and below. Heat is the greater danger. :)
Yeah we dealt with rough heat just a few weeks ago, triple digit heat index 🥵 I put ice blocks in the water bucket, electrolytes, frozen treats and a fan. Cold temps are more rare than awful heat in my part of Florida. We want to install a misting system by spring but I’ve been reading it doesn’t help much with high humidity, guess that’s my next research topic lol

Yeah we dealt with rough heat just a few weeks ago, triple digit heat index 🥵 I put ice blocks in the water bucket, electrolytes, frozen treats and a fan. Cold temps are more rare than awful heat in my part of Florida. We want to install a misting system by spring but I’ve been reading it doesn’t help much with high humidity, guess that’s my next research topic lol

Have you read my hot climate article?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

IMO, shade, VENTILATION, access to the ground where they can dig down to cooler layers to sit in, and careful selection of breeds are all important.

Back
Top Bottom