Close to laying

burchy

Chirping
Jun 17, 2022
Cocoa, Florida
I have two Leghorns and two Americanas that free range 12 hours a day. They’re all about 17 - 18 weeks old. They’ve been on grower feed all they’re lives which they hardly ever eat anymore since they free range. I’ve been giving them a mix of oats, two grain, mil worm and crickets in the evening ( just a handful ). My question is: how am I doing so far ? My girls look healthy and act healthy. I’m new to raising chickens so I’m open to any criticism or advice.
Burchy

Attachments

• C280ADEC-5EF5-4A56-9B8A-CFF0793ECE09.jpeg
    C280ADEC-5EF5-4A56-9B8A-CFF0793ECE09.jpeg
    886.9 KB · Views: 283
Your pullets look healthy, but it will be a while before that start to lay. Are you sure of their age? They look younger than 17/18 weeks old.

Now that day length is decreasing, onset of lay may be a bit delayed.
What makes up the 'two grain' you speak of?
Whole oats, while somewhat nutritious, are a bit high in fiber. You are best off keeping whole grains to a minimum because it will diminish the essential amino acids in total intake. That is just a suggestion since they may be making up for that with animal protein while foraging.
Do you have any pictures of when you first brought them home?

Now that day length is decreasing, onset of lay may be a bit delayed.
What makes up the 'two grain' you speak of?
Whole oats, while somewhat nutritious, are a bit high in fiber. You are best off keeping whole grains to a minimum because it will diminish the essential amino acids in total intake. That is just a suggestion since they may be making up for that with animal protein while foraging.
Do you have any pictures of when you first brought them

Attachments

• 85E2B4CA-9315-457B-A941-EEF13611CF49.jpeg
    85E2B4CA-9315-457B-A941-EEF13611CF49.jpeg
    518 KB · Views: 3
I started with basically the same hens. The leghorns combs get HUGE right before they lay. mine flop so big it covers one eye. The ester eggers are a week younger and still haven't started laying hatched in April but the leghorns are already let me know if your Easter eggers lay later like mine did! I'm still waiting. They look great.

Back
Top Bottom