Cocci... what it looks like, and what we did *Warning! poop-shots!*

I've been told to wait on the yogurt... too much protein. Wait until after the treatment has gone on for several days and she's feeling better.

If she'll eat, grind up raw oatmeal, and mix it 50/50 with the crumbles and feed her that.

fl.gif
she WILL get better.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Would grits or corn meal work (since its already ground)? Those also have less protein than oatmeal. Not much, but a little less and they are already ground up.

Quote:
I have heard that milk coats the intestines, helping prevent the bugs from doing their thing... maybe that's why. ?

I don't know if the cornmeal or grits would work or not...
hu.gif
that's a good question.

Another thing to look at... I never really paid attention to what was IN the chick starter... the bag says "Medicated Chick Starter". I always assumed that was to protect against Cocci... nope.

http://fowlfacts.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=medshhh&action=display&thread=322

The bag says it is "To improve growth and feed efficiency, prevention of early chick mortality due to oxytetracyline-susceptible organisms."

The other brand that I will now use exclusively contains Amprolium. Check the labels... just because it's medicated, doesn't mean it's medicated for the use you think it is...

Thank You so much for this post
smile.png
I purchased corid this morning for my chickens believed to have cocci now I am almost positive according to the poo pics ty for taking the time to educate others BYCER'S ROCK !!

Did you have a fecal analysis done? Was this confirmed Cocci? Mine did not have feathers poofed up like yours, but poo looked the same. I bought a chicken health hand book that said Cocci and Worm symptoms look alike. I was also advised by a knowledgeable byc'er that mine was more likely worms. My girls were all on medicated starter for 19 weeks. Treated for worms and Tylan. All "seem" to be getting better.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Another thing to look at... I never really paid attention to what was IN the chick starter... the bag says "Medicated Chick Starter". I always assumed that was to protect against Cocci... nope.

http://fowlfacts.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=medshhh&action=display&thread=322

The bag says it is "To improve growth and feed efficiency, prevention of early chick mortality due to oxytetracyline-susceptible organisms."

The other brand that I will now use exclusively contains Amprolium. Check the labels... just because it's medicated, doesn't mean it's medicated for the use you think it is...

ahhh!!!! good to know..... thanks.​

Unfortunately, no, I didn't have a faecal test done. We're just a little remote. I did do a post-mortem on one bird and didn't find any evidence of parasites. At 7 weeks and never been outside, I don't think mine were infected with worms. If yours weren't puffed up like that, then yes, it probably was worms.
clap.gif
Glad you got it nipped in the bud!
smile.png

I am still wondering if they did'nt have Cocci though. A thought occurred to me just yesterday. Even though my birds are 25 weeks, had been on the medicated starter, they lived in the house, yes in the house, in a brooder that I made from cardboard boxes. I had to keep expanding it as they grew. Their little feet never touched the outside dirt until they were 16 17 weeks old. (Dh had to build them a Coop de Ville) I didn't get a fecal either. I still am concerned about the Cocci. They just finished Tylan yesterday and are doing better. I still found tiny bits of blood today. Do you think I should give them some Amprolium? If so, at their age/ weight average 4lbs would you know the dosage? Thanks. Lisa
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom