Cocci... what it looks like, and what we did *Warning! poop-shots!*

Here's Lillith when she had cocci:
sicklillith

and her poop:
lillithpoop

We took the poop to an avian vet and he told us to give them some sulmet. It worked!

Sorry for your losses...
Liliths poo looks like ketchup...LOL I hope she has recoved?

My chicks have been on dirt since they were 3 weeks old... I would set them out in a temp run for about an hour a day...plus medicated starter...I really appreciate the pictures...it is very helpful as I am a visual learner...Should I have some of the sulmet on hand??? how long is the shelf life??? when reading about the ills of your chicks I become a hypercondreac (sp) and worry about my 4 babies well being...

Pam

cant spell for beans sulmet sulmet sulmet

Last edited:
Sulmet and Amprolium are both good to have on hand. The Amprol liquid (9.6% sol'n) is 4ml/cc to 1 gallon of water. If you keep the meds in a cool, dry, dark place, they should last a long time.
smile.png

hugs.gif
to you all... Envirogirl, I realized that the "sitting back on the haunches" is a typical sign, too, now that I have someone else's photo to compare. All 3 of mine did that, too, and their feet take on a clawed appearance, like they have arthritis.

It warms my heart to think that our sad experience is helping save other chickies...
clap.gif

Thank You I have 2 roosters now that are quarantined . I am giving them cordil and start n grow feed that is medicated . Is it too much for the feed and water to be treated ? they look so sad very limp stare into space feathers half gone , poop is very runny

I think this post helped save our chicks, thank you so much for the pictures. This is our first experience with chicks. We have had a small flock of 6 for two years, but wanted a frendlier experience, so decided to raise up a few chicks. They came from a trusted source, were not vaccinated, and it was recommended to use unmedicated starter. But we lost a sweet chick and were not sure why. She didn't thrive like the others, and I noticed some poop was watery and had red. It did not look as bad as yours though. I thought the chicks were eating some of the newsprint! Anyway, thanks. I hope we can save the 3 we have with all the good information posted here. We will also use the information about Apple Cider Vinegar to prevent any paracitic problems with our flocks. Information about ACV can be found at this post:
Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

Last edited:
I've had several requests for permission to use my photos for other articles... By all means, any that I posted are available to use as needed with my blessings.

Would you get cocci in day old chicks? The hens are killing chicks and I've been told its because something is wrong with them. Only some chicks where killed/attacked on the day they hatched. I took 3 (all on different times) 1 wasn't eating by itself so it died after a week. Another's injury was so severe it died the same day but I noticed it had slimy saliva type liquid in its beak. So I thought yeast infection. The one I currently have also has the slimy stuff..

zeeanimallady, if you need help, you should go to the top and post where it says "start a new thread" just beside "reply" so that you will get quicker responses to your problem.

Would you get cocci in day old chicks? The hens are killing chicks and I've been told its because something is wrong with them. Only some chicks where killed/attacked on the day they hatched. I took 3 (all on different times) 1 wasn't eating by itself so it died after a week. Another's injury was so severe it died the same day but I noticed it had slimy saliva type liquid in its beak. So I thought yeast infection. The one I currently have also has the slimy stuff..
I would have to say no to cocci in day old chick. As for hens killing chicks,sometimes they do,this happens more often than people realize. Not all hens make good mothers.I would not let these hens raise chicks anymore,next time bring them into the house and put into a brooder. Slimy discharge not sure,any more symptoms,how about eating/drinking,discharge from eyes/nostrils? I would start with giving electrolytes and vitamins,make sure chick is warm. If eating anything other than chick feed,they need grit.

Back
Top Bottom