Votes: 1 100.0%
  • More than I’d like to admit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mk.mom.13

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2018
So I recently (like this morning) found what appears to be blood in my chickens stool. I believe it’s coccidia, how ever I cannot seem to get any antibiotics online or in store (I can’t find any anywhere), does anyone have any tips or suggestions or information to share? No one acts sick or losing weight however my laying hen has stopped recently (I only have one laying age (the others are either too old or too young lol) I’m in nw ga if that helps with the weather reference.

Get CORID ASAP. It's sold at any farm supply store, Tractor Supply is in your area. Get the liquid it's easy to use. Give a drench (full strength) directly to the sickest hens. Should be 0.1ml (not 1ml) to each bird. you'll need a syringe. Also, give 2 tsp per gallon of water in their waterer for 5 days.

So I recently (like this morning) found what appears to be blood in my chickens stool. I believe it’s coccidia, how ever I cannot seem to get any antibiotics online or in store (I can’t find any anywhere), does anyone have any tips or suggestions or information to share? No one acts sick or losing weight however my laying hen has stopped recently (I only have one laying age (the others are either too old or too young lol) I’m in nw ga if that helps with the weather reference.
If no one is acting sick, they likely do not have coccidiosis.

I would be willing to bet just about anything, however, that they do have coccidia OOCYSTS. There is a huge difference here. Coccidia oocysts are in the soil and are a NORMAL part of a chickens flora. It is when they have a massive overgrowth of them that coccidia causes disease: coccidiosis.

Can you post a picture of the poop that has you concerned? It is likely to just be some shed intestinal lining but pictures are the only way to know for certain.

It’s a few hours old now but I hope this helps

Attachments

• 992B22E3-4B24-4EA6-B7CA-2271CED84CFF.jpeg
    992B22E3-4B24-4EA6-B7CA-2271CED84CFF.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 8
How old are your chickens? Have they ever been wormed? That looks like intestinal shed with maybe some mucous. If you have a vet that will do a fecal for you, I would recommend you do that with a fresh mixed sample from your flock including droppings that look like that. You can also do a mail in version if you don't have a vet that will do it for you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20
I will sometimes see droppings like that from a bird that is carrying worms (roundworms in my case), so a fecal will tell you for sure. Then if they are there you can treat with the correct medication. An occasional shed of lining is sometimes nothing to worry about, if you are seeing it often or consistently, then it could be.

This is the first time I’ve seen it, I have some around 3-4 months and some closer to a year non have been wormed. Ya there isn’t a vet near me, or one I can find that works with chickens so if I was able to find a mail in that would be perfect!

How old are your chickens? Have they ever been wormed? That looks like intestinal shed with maybe some mucous. If you have a vet that will do a fecal for you, I would recommend you do that with a fresh mixed sample from your flock including droppings that look like that. You can also do a mail in version if you don't have a vet that will do it for you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20
I will sometimes see droppings like that from a bird that is carrying worms (roundworms in my case), so a fecal will tell you for sure. Then if they are there you can treat with the correct medication. An occasional shed of lining is sometimes nothing to worry about, if you are seeing it often or consistently, then it could be.

Agree, I don't think that's coccidiosis. I find if it's blood tinged (bright red) or foamy it's a sign of the oocysts of Coccidiosis. Behavior is also a sign. I have had chickens for 3years and have never wormed them. I haven't seen a sign or symptom in my girls. That poop looks like shedded intestinal lining to me. If she's behaving normal, keep a close eye on her. I don't see worms in that stool either. I freaked out the first time I saw shedded intestinal lining in one of my hen's poop. My 14yr old daughter looked it up and I realized it was a normal process.

I don't see worms in that stool either.
Most of the time worms are not seen in the droppings, they live their entire lives inside the host. When the load is very heavy you may see roundworm or tapeworm. Not seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there. Intestinal shed doesn't mean they are there either, could be normal shed, could be something else going on, which is why I suggested getting a fecal which will answer the question and rule parasites in or out as an issue. I treat regularly for roundworms, when it's nearing time for worming I will often see a noticeable increase in intestinal shed in my flock. My schedule is based on the history of my flock and the incidence of roundworm infection in it. Every flock is different. Since no one is acting sick or off, it's not an emergency. Plenty of time to do a mail in test if that is the only option. Your choice.

Back
Top Bottom