Coccidiosis and Worms... What to treat first?

The amount is correct, but I usually give it 1-3 days in a row in addition to their medicated water. It's quite safe, so don't worry about giving both too much.

Weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 20, divide by 96 = the number of ml to give.water. Is there a reason that you don't want to put in their water?

-Kathy

Well as much as I can get her to hold still on the scale, she's between 3 lb, 5oz and 4 lb. as far as her water, I guess I can, but she's in my guest bath, and her water bowl is only about a cup of water. The math you gave, is that to be added to the water? Even if it's only a cup? Or is that diluting the Corid to give orally? I'm confused

So 4 / 2.2 x 20 / 96 = 0.38 mL of something
1f60a.png

Just maybe a dumb interjection here, but dose of a drug is almost always started as mg. per kg. of body weight. Because wormers often can be found in different strengths, like intended for cows vs. pigs vs. sheep, so ml per kg isn't usually something you would be calculating. And maybe could make a real big difference in the dose you give?

Just maybe a dumb interjection here, but dose of a drug is almost always started as mg. per kg. of body weight. Because wormers often can be found in different strengths, like intended for cows vs. pigs vs. sheep, so ml per kg isn't usually something you would be calculating. And maybe could make a real big difference in the dose you give?
The Corid dose for poultry is 20 mg/kg and there are 96 mg per 1 ml. The math equation tells how to calculate for it.

Pounds divided 2.2 gives you weigh in kg, x 20 mg/kg gives you number of mg, divided by 96 mg/ml give you the number of ml to give the animal.

A four pound bird needs 36.36 mg of Corid, so 36.36 / 96 = 0.378 ml of Corid.

Make sense?

-Kathy

Alrighty, I'm going to treat her for 3 days with Corid and will treat for the tapes with Valbazen when it comes in the mail.

I finally dug up the info my vet provided for the Panacur, it was 50mg/kg, treat once, wait a week and retreat. Is Valbazen the same?

Alrighty, I'm going to treat her for 3 days with Corid and will treat for the tapes with Valbazen when it comes in the mail.

I finally dug up the info my vet provided for the Panacur, it was 50mg/kg, treat once, wait a week and retreat. Is Valbazen the same?

The Valbazen dose most people use is 20mg/kg. Math for that would be pounds / 2.2 x 20 / 113.6 = ml.

-Kathy

FWIW, I'm one that will use Corid and wormers at the same time.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
Does it work? My vet said it will not hurt my girls, but will make their water taste nasty; therefore I risk them not drinking their water... What type of dewormer do you put in with your Corid and have no issues? I have Corid and Ivermectin, which I am told to do another round of Corid for 7 days and the Ivermectin for 3 to 5 days after that.

I de-worm orally, not in the water, and the de-wormers I use are Safeguard or Valbazen.

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed
The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

Back
Top Bottom