Coccidiosis??? Bloody stools in brooder today!

Why are you just using medicated feed? Medicated feed will not treat coccidiosis. It is merely a low dosage of amprolium..the medication in Corid, to aid in the preventation of Coccidiosis. It will not treat the illness once the birds have been infected. I would stop the ACV and dose the birds with Corid per the packaging instructions.

As for the DL method...until the birds have been properly medicated, you need to clean out the shavings and disinfect the coop. Otherwise, they will continue to infect themselves and their Coccidia load will grow. Once their course of treatment has been finished and there are no other signs of illness, you can resume your DL methods.

Last edited:
Ok, got it!
Going to find Corid today, everyone looks way better already tho. (The medicated feed was all I could find on a Sunday in my town.) I will stop the ACV after I get the Corid & do a deep cleaning thursday or friday, after they have the medicine in their system for a couple days..? I think have to drive 60 miles for the Corid... there wasn't any in my town & the nearest next feed/vet or anything is about an hour away.
Wish me luck! Like I said, everyone is doing /looking very good today. (Less blood in the droppings, very active chickies.)

Ok, got it!
Going to find Corid today, everyone looks way better already tho. (The medicated feed was all I could find on a Sunday in my town.) I will stop the ACV after I get the Corid & do a deep cleaning thursday or friday, after they have the medicine in their system for a couple days..? I think have to drive 60 miles for the Corid... there wasn't any in my town & the nearest next feed/vet or anything is about an hour away.
Wish me luck! Like I said, everyone is doing /looking very good today. (Less blood in the droppings, very active chickies.)

Corid is in the cattle section of the feed store. Kind of tricky to find it sometimes.

Last edited:
I have a question. What does blood in the poop actually look like? I have had chicks in the past that had what look like pink strings in their poop. Is that blood, or is bloody poop more obvious? Just wondering

I have 5 turkey poults roughly 2 1/2 weeks old that we just picked up today. When we got them home I noticed blood in their poop. I was just looking at the link for the poop page and it seems to look more like the normal sheding of the intestinal lining pic. but should I still be concerned at their young age is that actually normal. We did run right out to get corrid as soon as we noticed but I dont know if Im overreacting. And is it ok to give them corrid in there water and also offer them the med feed as that is all I have on hand for them and I dont want to hurt them, especially if they arent actually sick. Im so confused and nervous for them. Any suggestions would be great.

As a note, one way to prevent Coccidiosis when you move birds from building to building is to mix old shavings in with the new shavings, the chicks well pick at the shavings and build up a re stance by them self's. This comes from a poultry vet that i talked to about Coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom