Coccidiosis diagnosis...with respiratory infection?

Thank you!! That would make sense, with the food backing up in the intestines...poor B.

I'm happy to mix the Duramycin properly, but I'm not sure how often to administer it because she is so weak...and isn't eating.

I'm wondering whether it's respiratory at all now - perhaps the blocked crop is pushing on her lungs, restricting air movement.

A full crop can cause them to strain to breathe, the crop pushes on the heart which lies directly behind the crop.
This makes perfect sense! So how will any of the medicine get into her system if everything is blocked up in her crop?

I'm hoping that's all it is, and not a respiratory issue ...I don't even want to think about that right now. I'm giving the rest of my girls oregano and garlic mixed with mash... I just can't believe how aggressive this has been.

Thank you!! That would make sense, with the food backing up in the intestines...poor B.

I'm happy to mix the Duramycin properly, but I'm not sure how often to administer it because she is so weak...and isn't eating.

I'm wondering whether it's respiratory at all now - perhaps the blocked crop is pushing on her lungs, restricting air movement.
The Duramycin won't hurt in this case. While its never good to use antibiotics when not needed, when a bird is on the brink, I throw everything at it to possibly save its life. Usually if its respiratory, they are raspy, gurgly, watery bubbly eyes, side of the face can swell, sinuses swell, always runny noses, coughing, shaking the head. Its up to you on the antibiotics, however if you use them, start with a medicine dropper and put a few drops under her tongue or side if her mouth every couple hours for a couple days until she starts to drink on her own.

I'd definitely concentrate on the drench, you can't overdose it easily so make sure you get it into her several or more times a day. It needs to be going through her a lot to kill these nasty things.

:hugs

This makes perfect sense! So how will any of the medicine get into her system if everything is blocked up in her crop?

I'm hoping that's all it is, and not a respiratory issue ...I don't even want to think about that right now. I'm giving the rest of my girls oregano and garlic mixed with mash... I just can't believe how aggressive this has been.
Start with the medicine dropper and drizzle it in a few drops at a time once an hour during the day until she starts to drink on her own. Liquid will seep down through her crop and gizzard and get to her intestines.

The Duramycin won't hurt in this case. While its never good to use antibiotics when not needed, when a bird is on the brink, I throw everything at it to possibly save its life. Usually if its respiratory, they are raspy, gurgly, watery bubbly eyes, side of the face can swell, sinuses swell, always runny noses, coughing, shaking the head. Its up to you on the antibiotics, however if you use them, start with a medicine dropper and put a few drops under her tongue or side if her mouth every couple hours for a couple days until she starts to drink on her own.

I'd definitely concentrate on the drench, you can't overdose it easily so make sure you get it into her several or more times a day. It needs to be going through her a lot to kill these nasty things.

:hugs
Thank you again for your quick response - I feel like I've learned more in the past hour than I have all week!

Do you think the medicine will pass through her crop... And not just keep piling up? I'm not feeding her anything... Liquids only!

Thank you again for your quick response - I feel like I've learned more in the past hour than I have all week!

Do you think the medicine will pass through her crop... And not just keep piling up? I'm not feeding her anything... Liquids only!
She should have something to eat, birds have high metabolism and need to eat, even with a slow crop. When I have a very sick bird that won't eat, I get some Banana Gerber baby food and with an empty syringe I squeeze a 1 ml under the tongue a few times a day. Its easy to digest, its calories and keeps the blood sugar stable. I do this until they eat on their own. If you don't have a syringe, you can scrape it in with your finger.

Water can leak through just about anything, it will get down into her intestines.

You've had to do a crash course in chicken medical care, and please understand you are doing the best you can. @TwoCrows has given you some excellent tips. Here are a few more. If you look at this photo, you will see that the oral syringe is going into the chicken's right side of the mouth, slightly under the tongue, and into the esophagus which leads right into the crop. Giving fluids this way will avoid getting any in the airway, which is the hole behind the tongue. It's just another simple step to slip a plastic tube into the esophagus and into the crop to tube feed, which is an easy safe way to get larger amounts of food and fluids into a sick chicken.

upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Coccidiosis has nine strains that affect chickens, and not all of them cause bloody stools. I've treated for coccidiosis several times over the years and never encountered bloody stools. You must treat the drinking water and give for five days in a row in addition to the undiluted drench dose. Wait a week and do another five days of the Corid water.

It's not unusual for worms to also be present with coccidiosis. You can safely worm in addition. Parasites clogging the intestines will severely back up the crop. Clearing the intestines will help the crop. You can use Ivermectin 1%, placing several drops on the back of the neck rather than giving an oral wormer to avoid a full crop.

Back
Top Bottom