Coccidiosis question

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
I have mixed ages and breeds. I have 4 two year olds that I recently rescued. 5 four year olds, 1 seven year old, 2 nine year olds. Had posted several other long threads about issues back in March/April diarrhea, gleet,worms. Treated with nystatin orally and in vent with one with gleet. Wormed the whole flock lost one to sour crop. I have been watching pretty closely in the coop, and as they run past me and poop. It seems that there is no visible diarrhea except for maybe one of the girls I seem to see an occasional liquid spot in there coop. Over a period of about a month I have been noticing ruffled feathers. I initially thought that maybe one of them was starting an early molt. Now there are more and more seeming to look a bit ruffled. In the past, I would have done a treatment of corid in their water just to be safe. But recently read some thing that Older hens are not to have corid. And that only young hens get coccidiosis. I can’t seem to locate the thread that mentioned this. If only one has diarrhea, but half have ruffled feathers and no noticeable other different behavior should I treat with corid?

I would hold off and get a fecal sample read possibly from more than one hen.
Normally older hens don't suffer from coccidiosis.
However they can when brought to a new area. Birds will become resistant but when brought to a new area, they could be exposed to species of coccidia they weren't on a previous property. In that case they won't be resistant to that species.
I once had several birds with diarrhea and I thought they had worms but rather than treating I had a fecal sample read and it turned out they had a clostridial bacteria. Had I wormed, I would have just wasted time.

I would hold off and get a fecal sample read possibly from more than one hen.
Normally older hens don't suffer from coccidiosis.
However they can when brought to a new area. Birds will become resistant but when brought to a new area, they could be exposed to species of coccidia they weren't on a previous property. In that case they won't be resistant to that species.
I once had several birds with diarrhea and I thought they had worms but rather than treating I had a fecal sample read and it turned out they had a clostridial bacteria. Had I wormed, I would have just wasted time.
It seems like no diarrhea at the moment. I am thinking, perhaps it’s an early molt. I don’t have anywhere to do the fecal test. Plus, the resources not sure how much it is. My vet doesn’t do it and I’ve called a lot of vets and they don’t do chickens.

It seems like no diarrhea at the moment. I am thinking, perhaps it’s an early molt. I don’t have anywhere to do the fecal test. Plus, the resources not sure how much it is. My vet doesn’t do it and I’ve called a lot of vets and they don’t do chickens.
If they do fecals at all, for dogs and cats, then they have the facilities to do fecals for chickens. The worms look the same, or very similar. They just may not have the desire. My vet does livestock (rarely chickens), but he'll run a fecal for $12. Check out livestock vets in your area. Have you asked the vets who they know of who does livestock or chickens? About 5 vets in my area referred me to the one vet within 100+ miles who does chickens. They should know.

Good luck!

If they do fecals at all, for dogs and cats, then they have the facilities to do fecals for chickens. The worms look the same, or very similar. They just may not have the desire. My vet does livestock (rarely chickens), but he'll run a fecal for $12. Check out livestock vets in your area. Have you asked the vets who they know of who does livestock or chickens? About 5 vets in my area referred me to the one vet within 100+ miles who does chickens. They should know.

Good luck!
Spot on answer.

Good luck!
you're lucky to have so many vets in the area. we have two vets, one only dogs and cats and the other does farm calls but doesn't have any knowledge in poultry. I guess they think poultry is expendable. That's sad!

Back
Top Bottom