Coccidiosis? Secondary infection? Worms?

Coming back to this thread to update: since Peg died, we've lost another chicken (Tammy) who was approximately the same age, and now have one other displaying similar symptoms.

We had her necropsied as well and I am both saddened and relieved to share that it was Mareks, not aspergillosis, that killed both of them--and likely all the other chickens we've lost within the last year. Saddened for the obvious reasons, but relieved to finally know why we've suffered such a high mortality rate.

We're now doing some investigating to figure out if we can pinpoint how this was introduced to our flock. And doing all we can to support healthy immune systems in our remaining birds.

Also for any TX chicken keepers, we want to give a big shout out to Dr. Martin Ficken & his team at the Gonzales branch of Texas A&M DVML. Dr. Ficken has been tremendously generous and gracious with his time and expertise throughout this ordeal. If you ever find yourself needing a necropsy for your bird(s), we cannot recommend them highly enough.

Coming back to this thread to update: since Peg died, we've lost another chicken (Tammy) who was approximately the same age, and now have one other displaying similar symptoms.

We had her necropsied as well and I am both saddened and relieved to share that it was Mareks, not aspergillosis, that killed both of them--and likely all the other chickens we've lost within the last year. Saddened for the obvious reasons, but relieved to finally know why we've suffered such a high mortality rate.

We're now doing some investigating to figure out if we can pinpoint how this was introduced to our flock. And doing all we can to support healthy immune systems in our remaining birds.

Also for any TX chicken keepers, we want to give a big shout out to Dr. Martin Ficken & his team at the Gonzales branch of Texas A&M DVML. Dr. Ficken has been tremendously generous and gracious with his time and expertise throughout this ordeal. If you ever find yourself needing a necropsy for your bird(s), we cannot recommend them highly enough.
Oh I am so sorry!!! :hugs Mareks is a brutal disease. Thank you for sharing this with us, many condolences.

Back
Top Bottom