Coccidiosis, Sulmet or Corrid?

Hi ,yes I know that and the 4 most common is what we have seen in our area I know it is a live virus all I'm trying to do is let folks know there is another way of controlling the disease. I know several flock owners that use amprolium constantly these meds control it while they are on it but if it is in the soil as soon as they come off of the meds it comes back again some chickens build up immunities I know but some also die. For me personally the vaccine is better. as my grandmother used to say and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure I also know flock owners that keep their birds and their quarters spotless and still have problems with it. Thanks

Hi ,yes I know that and the 4 most common is what we have seen in our area I know it is a live virus all I'm trying to do is let folks know there is another way of controlling the disease. I know several flock owners that use amprolium constantly these meds control it while they are on it but if it is in the soil as soon as they come off of the meds it comes back again some chickens build up immunities I know but some also die. For me personally the vaccine is better. as my grandmother used to say and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure I also know flock owners that keep their birds and their quarters spotless and still have problems with it. Thanks
Why do you think the vaccine is better?

I think the vaccine is better because 1. you don't have to feed medicated feed. 2. You vaccinate just the one time and you don't have to worry about medication like Amprolium or Sulmet. If someone keeps medicating their flock the cocci will become immune and at that point the bird usually dies. From what I've read this can become a chronic disease with the bird not living much beyond the first year. I know I personally would rather vaccinate a chick the 1 time than to have to keep medicating and always worrying that it will come back every time we get a wet season and also who really knows about the long term ramifications of these medications I think it could turn out to be every bit as bad as using a live virus.

I don't vaccinate, I don't feed medicated feed and I rarely have problems with coccidiosis, but will always keep amprolium and a sulfa drug on hand. Those that have had it, respond to treatment and never have a relapse.

-Kathy

I had it crop up last fall in my flock 1 time treated got rid of it don't want it again I don't want to have to worry about it again that's why I vaccinate. I have neighbors that are losing a bird every couple of days to it and I have some very expensive and beautiful birds I don't want that to happen to me . My neighbors are treating with amprolium and they take care of their birds, some places can get it worse than others so I'm just trying to inform folks there is another option.

I think the vaccine is better because 1. you don't have to feed medicated feed. 2. You vaccinate just the one time and you don't have to worry about medication like Amprolium or Sulmet. If someone keeps medicating their flock the cocci will become immune and at that point the bird usually dies. From what I've read this can become a chronic disease with the bird not living much beyond the first year. I know I personally would rather vaccinate a chick the 1 time than to have to keep medicating and always worrying that it will come back every time we get a wet season and also who really knows about the long term ramifications of these medications I think it could turn out to be every bit as bad as using a live virus.

Which vaccine? There are more than one, and different methods of administration. Something to think about. Live non-attenuted coccidia in the vaccine do induce immunity as the bird cycles through it. The problem is that studies show they produce lesions in the intestinal tract. Because of that, the bird is more susceptible to necrotic enteritis. That means antibiotics become an addition, and if enough damage to the intestines takes place, the bird will have absorption problems in its digestive process for the duration of its life. This is why anti-coccidial drugs are still preferred to live vaccines.

Preventative management goes a long way since coccidia are always present. It is when they become too numerous that the health of birds is compromised. Outbreaks of coccidiosis may also occur due to more indirect causes, such as birds that have a compromised immune system, or a deficient immune system (regardless of the cause) are more likely to suffer from outbreaks of coccidiosis. That is why nutrient levels in feeds are very important. Also, if there is wet litter in the house, the high number of infective eggs may overwhelm the best preventive drug. Management practices that restrict access to light, water or feed, whether intentional or accidental, or an increased amount of birds without enough space, can also increase the problem.

I have been giving my birds the vaccine for over a year and have had absolutely no problems with enteritis they are all healthy. And I DO KEEP MY PENS CLEAN. My birds also free range they get a feed with plenty of protein and grain and greens as well.THE Vaccine I use is Immucox and you administer it in their drinking water when they are 3 to 5 days old.

Back
Top Bottom