Coccidiosis Treatment Not Working??

BackyardYooper

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2015
Hi All,

I have a backyard flock of four chickens. Two Easter Eggers, one Silver Laced Wyandotte and one Black Copper Maran. My SLW, Mrs. Robinson is the one who is not feeling well. She is 26 weeks old and I am unsure of her weight. The rest of the chickens are doing fine and not showing any symptoms.

Last night I noticed that Mrs. Robinson was really lethargic and was separated from the rest of my flock. She had a pale waddle and comb and was laying down on the coop floor. I knew right away she was sick. I then watched her expel bloody diarrhea. Cue Coccidiosis diagnosis. Got some Corid in their water, cleaned out the coop and was able to syringe feed her 15-25ml of medicated water as well as 5-10ml of medicated water mixed with greek yogurt. This morning she was still pretty lethargic, but up on the roost. This afternoon she is still lethargic, willing to get on the roost and off, but not going outside and not drinking or eating on her own as far as I know. I syringe fed her another 15-25ml of medicated water once today. Her waddle and comb pink up a little if she gets up and moves around and I did hear her vocalize a little bit today. She is also preening her back end because there is a little build up of poop from all her diarrhea. I'll clean this up when my husband is home to help me. She isn't our friendliest bird.

Am I doing things right here? Is there more I can do?? It seems everything I've read states that improvement should be fairly quick, though I wouldn't say I've seen a marked improvement yet. It is about 21 hours since she got introduced to the medicated water. I'm headed out of town tomorrow, so I'm extra nervous that she may not show improvements.

I have not seen any evidence of worms, but have not treated for worms either. I assumed I should only do one at a time, but through reading a few other threads I've seen that treating for worms at the same time as using Corid isn't an issue. Should I also add a wormer into the mix?

Thanks in advance for your time and wisdom!

welcome-byc.gif

I hope someone more experienced with illnesses can help you. My first thought is she's an odd age to suddenly develop a cocci related illness, unless you've moved the birds recently or she's a new acquisition. At this age she should have a good tolerance for the local organisms unless she's been otherwise stressed.

I've always had quick results when I've had to treat chicks for cocci.

I'd give her an electrolyte or sugar water solution to drink.

caf.gif
to see what others say.

welcome-byc.gif

I hope someone more experienced with illnesses can help you. My first thought is she's an odd age to suddenly develop a cocci related illness, unless you've moved the birds recently or she's a new acquisition. At this age she should have a good tolerance for the local organisms unless she's been otherwise stressed.

I've always had quick results when I've had to treat chicks for cocci.

I'd give her an electrolyte or sugar water solution to drink.

caf.gif
to see what others say.
I too thought she was a little old, but through a few websites and other threads I've noticed that it isn't such a rare thing. It is more rare for a bird older than a year to contract it. We've had really humid weather lately so I'm wondering if that is at play as well.

I'm just stressing out a lot since I'll be gone for 4 days. I can't make other arrangements for my trip and the thought of leaving her is just killing me. I was so hopeful that I'd see some improvements today.

Thanks for chiming in!

If you have the liquid guess her weight in pounds, then multiply her weight in pounds by 0.05 ml Corid. Mix that amount with a few ml's of water and give it orally twice a day.

Example for 5 pound hen:
5 x 0.05 = 0.25ml . Mix with 2ml of water. Give this amount twice a day for two days. Still provide medicated water, though no need to syringe it to her.

-Kathy

If you have the liquid guess her weight in pounds, then multiply her weight in pounds by 0.05 ml Corid. Mix that amount with a few ml's of water and give it orally twice a day.

Example for 5 pound hen:
5 x 0.05 = 0.25ml . Mix with 2ml of water. Give this amount twice a day for two days. Still provide medicated water, though no need to syringe it to her.

-Kathy
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your input!!!

I could only get the powder, so I've got 1.5 tsp per gallon right now. That is what I'm giving her via syringe. I'm not forcing her, just squirting it in the corner of her beak. She drinks it willingly. I gave her another appx 20ml of medicated water just a little bit ago. She is still very lethargic, though did stand up and do some preening while I was observing her. She is currently nestled up to another one of my flock who is sitting in a nesting box right now.

Any other suggestions?

Take 1/2 teaspoon and mix with 10ml of water and give 0.17ml per pound twice a day

Five pound hen:
5 x 0.17 = 0.85 - Mix that with 1cc and give that twice a day.

Make sense?

Sometime they don't drink enough medicated water, so that should really help if she has coccidiosis. Corid is very safe, so don't worry about giving too much.

-Kathy

Take 1/2 teaspoon and mix with 10ml of water and give 0.17ml per pound twice a day

Five pound hen:
5 x 0.17 = 0.85 - Mix that with 1cc and give that twice a day.

Make sense?

Makes perfect sense.

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure the gentlemen who is taking care of our chickens will be able to accomplish this, but I'll for sure be able to dose her with that this evening and tomorrow morning at the very least.

Again, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom