Coccidiosis

What I've just noticed it that Corid and other Amprolium liquids and powders sold in the US do not have instruction for poultry, but those in Canada do.

Source:http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
Amprol 9.6% Solution

This treatment applies to the following species:

Manufacturer: Huvepharma AD
Veterinary Use Only
Net Contents 3.8L
DIN 00140481
Active Ingredient: Each mL contains 96 mg of amprolium
Amprol 9.6% Solution Indications

Poultry - as An Aid In The Treatment Of Caecal Coccidiosis In Growing Chickens And Laying Birds.

calves - as An Aid In The Treatment Of Coccidiosis Caused By eimeria bovis And e. Zuernii In Calves.
use Directions
Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time.

use As The Sole Source Of Amprolium.
calves - 0.012% Amprolium In Drinking Water For 5 Days. At The Usual Rate Of Water Consumption, This Will Provide A Daily Intake Of Approximately 10 Mg Of Amprolium Per Kg Of Body Weight. Give As The Sole Source Of Water During The Treatment Period.
note - when One Or More Calves Show Signs Of Coccidiosis, It Is Likely That The Rest Of The Group Have Been Exposed, And All Calves In The Group Should Be Treated.
mixing Directions

To prepare 200 L of medicated water:

DOSAGE

Mixing Directions

0.0240%

Add 500 mL of AMPROL
00ae.png
9.6% Solution to about 25 L of water in a 200 L medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 200 L mark. STIR THOROUGHLY.​

0.0120%

Use same directions as above but use 250 mL of AMPROL
00ae.png
9.6% Solution.​

0.0060%

Use same directions as above but use 125 mL of AMPROL
00ae.png
9.6% Solution.​
Amprol 9.6% Solution Caution

1. Poultry - if No Improvement Is Noted Within 3 Days, Have The Diagnosis Reconfirmed And Follow The Instructions Of Your Veterinarian Or Poultry Pathologist. Losses May Result From Intercurrent Disease Or Other Conditions Affecting Drug Intake Which Can Contribute To The Virulence Of Coccidiosis Under Field Conditions.

2. Calves - for A Satisfactory Diagnosis, A Microscopic Examination Of The Feces Should Be Done Before Treatment. When Treating Outbreaks, Drug Should Be Administered Promptly After Diagnosis Is Determined.
do Not Use In Calves Intended For Future Breeding.
warning
Calves - Treated animals must not be slaughtered for use in food for at least 7 days after the latest treatment with this drug.

Storage

Protect from freezing. Keep above 5°C.
00ae.png
Trademark Huvepharma AD
Distributed by Bio Agri Mix LP, PO Box 399 Mitchell, ON N0K 1N0
www.bioagrimix.com

Nac No.

HUVEPHARMA AD
Distributed by BIO AGRI MIX LP
P.O. BOX 399, 11 ELLENS STREET, MITCHELL, ON, N0K 1N0

Telephone: 519-348-9865
Order Desk: 800-265-1763
Technical Information: 519-348-4402
Fax: 519-348-4100
Email: [email protected]

canada_flag.gif
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Amprol 9.6% Solution information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.

Source:http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=42054
AMPROL 128 - amprolium powder
Huvepharma, Inc.
----------
AMPROL SOLUBLE POWDER

INDICATIONS

AMPROL 128 (amprolium) 20% Soluble Powder is intended for the treatment of
coccidiosis in growing chickens, turkeys and laying hens.

USE DIRECTIONS

USE DIRECTIONS: Give amprolium at the 0.012% level (10 oz AMPROL 128 20%
Soluble Powder per 128 Gallons) as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for
three to five days. (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024% level.)
Continue with 0.006% amprolium medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks. No
other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during this time.
Use as the sole source of amprolium.

CAUTION

CAUTION: If no improvement is noted within 3 days, have the diagnosis confirmed
and follow the instructions of your veterinarian or poultry pathologist. Losses may
result from intercurrent disease or other conditions affecting drug intake which can
contribute to the virulence of cocidiosis under field conditions.

NOT FOR HUMAN USE.
Restricted Drug - Use Only as Directed (California)
Keep this and all drugs out f the reach of children.

MIXING AND DOSAGE ADMINISTRATION

PREMEASURED FOR AUTOMATIC
WATER PRDPORTIONERS

For Automatic Water Proportioners

For use in automatic water proportioners that meter
1 fluid ounce of stock solution per gallon of drinking
water.

Dissolve AMPROL 128
(amprolium) 20% Soluble Powder
To prepare In one gallon of water
dosage levels of: (Makes 1 gallon of stock solution)
0.024% 2 bags (20 oz) in 1 gallon
0.012% 1 bag (20 oz) in 1 gallon
0.006% 1/2 bag (20 oz) in 1 gallon

To Prepare 50 Gallons of Medicated Water

DOSAGE LEVEL MIXING DIRECTIONS
0.024% Dissolve 8 ounces of AMPROL 128
20% SOLUBLE POWDER in about 5
gallons of water in a 50-gallon
medicated barrel. Stir, then add
water to the 50-gallon mark.
Stir thoroughly.

0.012% Follow same directions as above but
use 4 ounces of AMPROL 128 20%
SOLUBLE POWDER.

0.006% Follow same directions as above but
use 2 ounces of AMPROL 128 20%
SOLUBLE POWDER.

Note: Make drinking water fresh daily. Stock
solutions for proportioners may be stored in a
clean, closed labeled container for up to 3 days.
AMPROl
00ae.png
is a registered trademark of Huvepharma.lnc.

STORAGE

STORAGE: Store between 5o - 25oC (41o - 77oF) with brief excursions to 40oC (104oF)

Amprol 128 Label Image

Amprol 128 Label Image

image.cfm

AMPROL 128
amprolium powder
Product Information
Product Type OTC ANIMAL DRUG NDC Product Code (Source) 23243-9709
Route of Administration ORAL DEA Schedule
Active Ingredient/Active Moiety
Ingredient Name Basis of Strength Strength
AMPROLIUM (AMPROLIUM) AMPROLIUM 0.2 g in 1 g
Inactive Ingredients
Ingredient Name Strength
No Inactive Ingredients Found​
Product Characteristics
Color Score
Shape Size
Flavor Imprint Code
Contains
Packaging
# NDC Package Description Multilevel Packaging
1 23243-9709-3 24 POUCH In 1 PAIL contains a POUCH
1 283.5 g In 1 POUCH This package is contained within the PAIL (23243-9709-3)

Marketing Information
Marketing Category Application Number or Monograph Citation Marketing Start Date Marketing End Date
NADA NADA033165 06/29/2009

Labeler - Huvepharma, Inc. (619153559)
Establishment
Name Address ID/FEI Operations
Huvepharma, Inc. 619153559 pack, label, manufacture, analysis
Revised: 04/2010Huvepharma, Inc.

Last edited:
That would be because the Canadian Government does not think we can figure this stuff out,we are not very smart,so they do it for us. We don't have access to the medications for pets that you do either,possibly Government thinks we might eat/drink it ourselves. Lol

That is what I was looking for, the density comparisons. Sugar and salt are very far apart with respect to density. If memory serves with respect to Corid, then Corid I have has a density most similar to starch or just a little more dense than starch. I am more comfortable making batches of Corid laced water based on solute weight, especially when making up fresh smaller batches daily. The Corid is prone to compaction issues which for me is prone to cause lower than desired working dosages, especially with smaller batches. Those little measuring cups are crappy unless measuring fluids even though good enough for cooking.
I'll add packed corn starch to my experiment!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulk_density

-Kathy

Last edited:
This is the info on the label on the bottle of amprolium I have:
To allow the correct development of immunity some exposure to coccidia is required.
For treatment : use 30 gram to 25 litres of water continuously for 5-7 days, reduce this to 15 grams -25 litres for a further 5-7 days, then 8 grams -25 litres for another 5-7 days.
This gradual reduction in the level of treatment assists birds to develop immunity, while maintaining some level of protection.

This is the recommended dosage for amprolium 200, powder.

Due to some confusion on dose amounts regarding the powder, I decided to do some research and this is what I have so far. For those of you that use powder Corid, if you have been using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (~276.58mg) you haven't been using enough.

• There are 200mg of amprolium in every 1 gram of powder.
  • 1 ounce = 3.5 tablespoons = 28.35 grams
  • 200 x 28.35 = 5670mg in 3.5 tablespoons of powder.
  • There are 10.5 teaspoons in 3.5 tablespoons
  • There are 20.5 1/2 teaspoons in 10.5 teaspoons
  • 5670mg divided by 20.5 1/2 teaspoons = ~276.58mg per 1/2 teaspoon
  • There are two 1/4 teaspoons per 1/2 teaspoon
  • 276.58 mg divided by 2 = 139.29mg per 1/4 teaspoon

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) powder per 1/4 teaspoon

• One 1/4 teaspoon = 139.29 mg
  • Two 1/4 teaspoons = 276.58 mg
  • Three 1/4 teaspoons =417.87 mg
  • Four 1/4 teaspoons = 557.16 mg
  • Fve 1/4 teaspoons = 696.45 mg
  • Six 1/4 teaspoons = 835.74 mg
  • Seven 1/4 teaspoons = 975.03 mg
  • Eight 1/4 teaspoons = 1114.32 mg

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) liquid per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon liquid = 120 mg
  • Two 1/4 teaspoons = 240 mg
  • Three 1/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • Four 1/4 teaspoons = 480 mg
  • Five 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • Six 1/4 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • Seven 1/4 teaspoons = 840
  • Eight 1/4 teaspoons = 960 mg

Disclaimer: Haven't checked for typo's, but the math should be pretty close, if not, please let me know and I'll correct it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
In the end?  It comes down to experience.

We never, ever had coccidiosis here.  Ever.

Then?  This spring was horribly slow in coming.  Wet, cool and odd.  Wouldn't you know it, we had cocci outbreak for the very first time.  There are, as you know, 8 or 9 strains, so it isn't just ONE thing.  They morph.  They adapt.  They change and they are carried about the planet by migrating birds.  The stuff this early summer in the northlands, here and right on up through eastern Canada was VIRULENT.  Deadly as all get out.  The strain went right through medicated feed like it was a joke.  I'll never buy medicated feed again.  Waste of time.

Corid water.  1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.  Knocks it out NOW, but the chicks have to actually drink it.  Droppers are sometimes necessary if the situation is dire.  I wouldn't worry about whether it is this micro difference in the formulas.  Come on.  Just put 1/2 teaspoon of the 20% powder and get it into your birds or they die.  It's that simple.  Some of these strains kill so fast that while I'm scratching head over meaningless differentials in precise dosing, I've lost 20 chicks, bled out and dead, and often these are irreplaceable, rare, heritage, breeder chicks.  

Yogurt or raw milk, straight from the goat or cow is also soothing.  NO VITAMINS during treatment.  You're working against the med.  Corid ie, amprolium, works by starving thiamine from the cysts in the gut.  Don't feed the cysts vitamins, for heaven's sake.  Serve corid water for 8 days.  Take a week off and if you're even the least bit concerned, run them through a second 6 days of follow up.   Amprolium is fairly innocuous to the bird.  It's not an anti-biotic.  You can even feed amprolium in small doses to hens and eat their eggs.  I don't, but it shows how relatively innocuous Corid is.

No offense intended by my rather "forth right" talk here, but I'm a wee bit sensitive.  I lost some irreplaceable chicks to death so I'm not particularly in any mood to use my more politically correct tone here.  :lau

Hi Fred!
Not normally anywhere but the cheesehead thread but I was on a desperate search for some straight answers about cocci and ampro dosages.
THANK YOU!!! I finally found the voice of reason. Bless you my friend.

I recently bought a new flock of young Marans (10 - 16 weeks) and noticed in the first week back that there was one with bloody stools. It's now 3 weeks later and the blood seems to have cleared up, the hens are getting bigger and seem OK. What is the consensus - should I treat the flock now with Corid or just take a watchful waiting approach?

I recently bought a new flock of young Marans (10 - 16 weeks) and noticed in the first week back that there was one with bloody stools. It's now 3 weeks later and the blood seems to have cleared up, the hens are getting bigger and seem OK. What is the consensus - should I treat the flock now with Corid or just take a watchful waiting approach?
Feel the bird discussed, if it is in good weight then no treatment is needed.

Just an FYI for anyone following this thread. I've hit an unusually virulent strain of cocci that is not responding to normal treatment.
Background - purchased 2 , 9 wks old Aussie pullets. Week later, one passed what at first I thought was an intestinal shed til it happened again, with blood, not normal. Started amprol at 3/4 tsp powder per gal. Went 5 days, good result. Switched to maintenance dose, 3 days later ceca expel with large intestinal "shed" :th. did three days of probiotics, poly vi sol and protein (intestinal issues continued the entire time) and started again with higher dose of 1 tsp per gal. 2nd day good (hope) third day, worst intestinal discharge yet. Discussed with vet online who said this is showing up more and more.

Continuing with current treatment while I wait for new drug to arrive in mail that has been sent out priority from first state vet supply. It's a tablet called Albon. (sulfadymadoxine) please don't quote my spelling on that one. Advantage of this new drug treatment is it is not only effective on cocci but will attack other tough problems as well. I will post again on progress.

Last edited:
According to my math, at 1 teaspoon per gallon one is below the recommended .024% level, but I'm glad you've found another solution. Albon (sulfadimethoxine), aka Di-Methox, is an antibiotic as well as an coccidiostat.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom