Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I'm building a new breeding pen for bantams and I thought about looking into Cochins, I want show quality and I think I want a recognize color, who are some really good breeders

I know many of them including myself. It all depends on what variety you want to show. If you only want Best of Variety almost any variety will do. If you want to compete for and possibly win BB you can get that with Black White Buff Mottled Blue. If you want a chance to win a show think BLACK. and perhaps White.

I know many of them including myself. It all depends on what variety you want to show.  If you only want Best of Variety almost any variety will do. If you want to compete for and possibly win BB you can get that with Black White Buff Mottled Blue. If you want a chance to win a show think BLACK. and perhaps White.

Really, black? That's interesting since black always seema to be a passed by color for animals in general.
Which is a shame because it isn't terribly hard to breed a gorgeous black line in mammals and I personally find black to be an amazing color with tons of depth when done well. Personally i think little can surpass it's simple beauty and striking contrast. It definitely illuminates good type in an animal.

I'm glad to see it is appreciated with bantam cochins! Maybe I will breed some lovely black birds for fun and show!

Is it difficult to get a good clean black with chickens? Do you look for silver or gold tones? Do you breed out red hues or in?

Really, black? That's interesting since black always seema to be a passed by color for animals in general.
Which is a shame because it isn't terribly hard to breed a gorgeous black line in mammals and I personally find black to be an amazing color with tons of depth when done well. Personally i think little can surpass it's simple beauty and striking contrast. It definitely illuminates good type in an animal.

I'm glad to see it is appreciated with bantam cochins! Maybe I will breed some lovely black birds for fun and show!

Is it difficult to get a good clean black with chickens? Do you look for silver or gold tones? Do you breed out red hues or in?

As Black Cochin Bantams mentioned, black are the best developed colour in the bantams, followed by white and mottled. They are the ones that win most of the shows, even here in sa. Have a look at the pictures of the past winners on the cochins international website. They are really a long way ahead of the the rest of the colours at the moment. There are some dedicated breeders trying to develop the rare and forgotten colours, and they are working very hard to bring those up to a good standard.

Feathers have to be Black with a beetle green sheen.in the saddle and cushion area. any other color feather is a DQ. Yellow to Dusky yellow feet and legs. Red is a DQ. If you can see Silver or Gold avoid the bird. Eye color is important too

I have a recent hatchling that I am told is a banty cochin. It may be a mix. The eggs were given to me by a friend. I am curious about its color. It is what I would call gray/silver. What will it be when it matures? I would post a pic but my computer is down at the moment.

Thanks.

I have a recent hatchling that I am told is a banty cochin. It may be a mix. The eggs were given to me by a friend. I am curious about its color. It is what I would call gray/silver. What will it be when it matures? I would post a pic but my computer is down at the moment.

Thanks.

My guess would be blue by your description

Back
Top Bottom