Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I a new. Reading a lot and learningalong the way. I am hoping others more experienced will chime in.

I have heard there are higher incidences of certain health issues (heart and other organ weakness) with Frazzles/double frizzles as it overall a weaker bird when given two copies of the Frizzled Gene. That along with the feather issues the poor Frazzles experience is a good reason to not hatch Frizzle to Frizzle eggs as each chick has a 50/50 chance to be affected.

As I understand it Frizzles themselves (as long as one parent is Smooth), should be considered normal.

I love my Frizzles. They are so plush and fluffy.

I a new. Reading a lot and learningalong the way. I am hoping others more experienced will chime in.

I have heard there are higher incidences of certain health issues (heart and other organ weakness) with Frazzles/double frizzles as it overall a weaker bird when given two copies of the Frizzled Gene. That along with the feather issues the poor Frazzles experience is a good reason to not hatch Frizzle to Frizzle eggs as each chick has a 50/50 chance to be affected.

As I understand it Frizzles themselves (as long as one parent is Smooth), should be considered normal.

I love my Frizzles. They are so plush and fluffy.
Your posting is accurate. You definitely understand the basics necessary for breeding. More information: http://www.thefrizzlesocietyofgreatbritain.co.uk/.. click on the header ARTICLES and see if the information you want is there.

Last edited:
Your posting is accurate. You definitely understand the basics necessary for breeding. More information: http://www.thefrizzlesocietyofgreatbritain.co.uk/.. click on the header ARTICLES and see if the information you want is there.
I couldn't get that link to work. Is there another address?

I have found my two frazzles (double double copy frizzles) share some undesirable characteristics that I haven't seen written about in was scarce literature I have been able to find.

For example, I think both birds experience pain when handled. They struggle quite hard if I try to handle them, no matter how carefully I hold them. Maybe it is as simple as their feathers fall out so easily, they always have a lot of blood feathers which have nerves in them. I think the literature discusses them being more flighty, but I wonder if there is more going on.

That along with the feather issues the poor Frazzles experience is a good reason to not hatch Frizzle to Frizzle eggs as each chick has a 50/50 chance to be affected.
That's not quite accurate: there will be 25% chance of frazzles produced when breeding (normal) frizzles together. Ff x Ff = FF (one frazzle) + Ff + Ff (two normal frizzles) +ff (smooth feathered).

Yes you are correct my error. Sorry about that.

Each chick would have 25% chance of being a Frazzle, 25% chance of being Smooth and 50% chance of a Normal Frizzle, when 2 Normal Frizzles are paired.

I must have been thinking of the 50/50 chance of Frizzle in a Normal Frizzle to a Smooth pairing.

The thing I see people not understanding is they expect it to be a 50/50 split in the clutch and don't understand the odds are based per indiviual chick.

I just had 6 chicks hatch from a Frizzle to Smooth pen. It looks like the Frizzle gene smiled on me as 4 of the babies are showing Frizzled feathering.

I can't get the link to work either. :( I would love to learn more. Please share any and all helpful links :) I want to soak it all up.

I am so excited that I finally found some red brown Cochins! They are bantams and still young, can't wait to see them full grown :)

When I bought my frazzles from a hatchery, they advertised that I should expect half frizzle, half smooth.  That ratio is correct for a normal frizzle paired with smooth.  There should never be a double-copy frizzle from that breeding pen, but I got three double-copy frizzles (frazzles) and only one normal frizzle.  No smooths.  Obviously they were breeding frizzle to frizzle, possibly  even frazzle to frizzle.  This year, the same hatchery advertises a ratio of 75% frizzles and 25% smooth, which is the ratio for breeding frizzle to frizzle.

It is unlikely that whomever you speak to at the hatchery--if it is a commercial one--has any idea of what is in the breeding pens.  Some big hatcheries get their chicks from other suppliers, so will have no knowledge of the pen make up at all.

Do you have a good picture of the damaged feathers of your hen?  Do your birds feathers look dull, stringy, almost oily or are they vibrant and wide?  New feathers on a frazzle are okay, but as the feathers age they just look dead.  When you handle the birds, do you end up with broken bits of feathers or feathers that fall out or break?  Put one of your birds on a table and examine the feathers--roll them between your fingers.  I don't think a normal feathered bird, even a normal frizzle, will ever have a wirey feather where all that is left is the shaft of the feather.  It is pretty distinctive on a frazzle and really can't be mistaken for just a damaged feather.

She's not from a hatchery. I don't have a pic at the moment but I will get one and post it on here for comment. Thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom